Fast Idle

Old 08-29-03, 04:38 AM
Tim Sherwood
Visiting Guest
Angry Fast Idle

My daughter has a 1993 Ford Tempo GL. This past week, for no reason, it started to idle @30 mph. The car has fuel injection, so there is no carbureator to adjust. WHAT happened, and how can it be repaired?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-03, 06:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Clean the throttle body and inspect the Idle Air Control valve.

Also check for a binding throttle.

Old 09-11-03, 03:24 AM
Tim Sherwood
Visiting Guest
Regardihg "fast Idle". Couldn't this be the throttle position sensor as well? It is running fast all the time, even when it starts cold. Just a thought. Once again, thanks for all your input.

Old 09-11-03, 03:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Possibly, but doubtful based on description.

What was the result of servicing the TB and testing the IAC?

Old 09-13-03, 03:14 PM
Tim Sherwood
Visiting Guest
I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC. There was no change. When I purchased the IAC. they gave my a throttle air byoass. Is this the same thing? Anyway, when I unplugged the air flo sensor on the breather, the car idled down roughly . It wouldn't stay running correctly. I also checked for a vacuum leak, but I couldn't find one.

Old 09-13-03, 04:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Throttle Air Bypass=Idle air control valve in Ford's world.

Again, did the part test bad for you to change it? Do not throw parts at the problem, you'll spend more in parts than this could ever be worth and still have a broken car .

Test, test, test first before spending any green.

It would also help to know which engne (2.3 or 3.0) we are dealing with here.

Old 09-13-03, 05:51 PM
did you check to make sure the throttle wasnt sticking?
when you unplug the iac valve connector does it change the idle speed it should either die or go to a very low idle, if no change next step would be to actually remove the iac valve and block off the holes with your fingers while having someone start the car if it still idles high you must have a vacum leak somewhere try spraying throttle body gasket and intake gaskets with carb cleaner to see if its leaking also check the pcv valve and hose.
if the idle does drop when iac is disconnected you should start by checking the codes in the computer may have bad sensor such as tps, cts, or even a bad ecm.

Old 09-14-03, 05:28 AM
Tim Sherwood
Visiting Guest
I wasn't exactly sure how to test it. The motor is a 2.3 4 cyl. I really do appreciate all your help.

Old 09-14-03, 06:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As I stated earlier, use autolibrary to guide you, or your service manual (you do have one, right??? ).

Bejay gave you some good advice as well.

Search this Thread