Power Steering

Old 08-29-03, 09:18 AM
Munchkin
Visiting Guest
Power Steering

I have an '88 Gmc 1/2 ton cargo van, with an '85 small block 350 motor. For the past week I've been dumping power steering fluid everywhere and having to fill it up just to drive 30 miles. I looked underneath and discovered that the leak is not coming from the power steering pump, but from the thing that the hoses go into that's in the steering column. What is that thing?? and what do I need to do to resolve this problem?? Can I fix it myself? or do I have to take it in?? Immediate assistance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-03, 10:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like maybe a pitman arm seal, but it sounds like you have leaky hoses or a bad O-ring on one of the hoses.

Another possibility is a bad Hydroboost if equipped. Is the master cylinder bolted to a think that looks like a round drum? (If so, that's NOT Hydraboost, that's regular vacuum assist).

Old 09-01-03, 02:42 PM
Munchkin
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you!

I just wanted to say thanks for your prompt reply.

Old 09-01-03, 04:45 PM
That's the steering gear box. It's not too tough to replace, easier if you have air and air tools. You'll need a pitman arm puller, a socket to fit it (5/8th I think??) and sockets to fit the bolts that hold it in place against the frame. If memory serves me correctly, there's a 12 point 13mm pinch bolt that holds the steering column to the gear box..
This will probably take about an hour or so with hand tools...

Old 09-02-03, 06:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Did you find the leak??????

Search this Thread