Thermostat Install

Old 08-29-03, 12:00 PM
mickd
Visiting Guest
Thermostat Install

I have a 5.7 L Chevy which had a problem with heater core leak. I decided to change out to a hotter thermostat while it was open. I installed a new one using the old install as my guide (the bellows spring was on the engine side).

After install, truck would run hot to about 125 C then suddenly release back to operating temperature of 80 C. I would loose a bunch of coolant (not sure where).

Since all else was failing, I decided to read the manual. The manual said install the bellows inside the elbow. This was conterintuitive to my previous engines, but I decided to go ahead. Truck runs perfectly fine.

My questions are,

1) Do they make thermostats 2 different ways? They all look the same to me, but it appears that the previous thermostat was meant to work with the spring in the engine side while the new one isn't.

2) Any ideas where the coolant went when overheating?

Thanx

Old 08-29-03, 12:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure you use an AC Delco stat that is rated correctly for the vehicle.

The pellet part of the unit goes torward the engine. It usually says "This side to engine" in some cases.

Old 08-29-03, 12:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
THE THERMOSTAT GOES WITH THE SPRING SIDE TOWARD THE BLOCK. IT WAS PROBABLY AIR BOUND, WHICH WOULD CAUSE THE TEMP GAGE GOING ALL OVER THE PLACE. ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW IT COULD BE OPERATING OKAY WITH THE STAT IN UPSIDE DOWN....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: