99 CIVIC DX Timing Belt Tension

Old 08-30-03, 08:12 AM
hidden413
Visiting Guest
99 CIVIC DX Timing Belt Tension

Have a 99' Honda Civic Dx with a standard single cam engine. 1.6 L
I have recently replaced the timing belt and followed the instructions in the Haynes repair manuel for correct tension but found it very confusing. They said to line up the timing marks first then install the belt. After rotate the belt 6 times by hand rechecking the marks then loosen the tensioner 1/2 turn and rotate the engine 3 theeth past TDC, retighten the tensioner. I did this but the belt seems no more tight than when first installed.
It also seems like now that I have put some milage on the car it may have also jumped a tooth. Any help for a simple explanation of how to correctly tension the belt???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 09:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Throwing the Haynes manual out would be the first step . Useless for this repair.

Pony up the 25 bones for an Alldata.com subscription or a factory manual. Their procedure is likely better and more thorough.

Timing belt woes on Hondas can mean trouble and engine damage. Don't risk it with poor information.

Old 08-30-03, 09:12 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
don't throw books out, recycle them

Old 08-30-03, 09:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tell that to Mayor Bloomberg here in NYC.

They say recycling costs money and isn't worth it, so it's been reduced/curtailed.

No wonder why we have an energy issue in this nation.