93 4Runner front disk question

Old 08-30-03, 10:02 AM
93 4Runner front disk question

Have 93 4Runner 6 cyl 2WD. Front rotors and pads need replacing. Have Haynes book I bought to try this myself but what I have doesn't seem to be what's shown in the book. The manual says to remove the caliper and remove the 5 bolts that hold the disk but I do not seem to have this setup. When I remove the wheel I can see a brass colored round plate with 6 screws around it and behind that will be my axel nut, bearings, etc. and it appears to me that my axel nut and bearing assembly need to come off before the rotor/disk will come off... is this right? or is there something I'm missing?
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 12:14 PM
This should be a captured rotor setup. You will need to remove the cotter pin and spindle nut from the center of the rotor/hub. After you do this you will see the outer bearing. Give the rotor a pull and the bearing should fall right out. There is an inner bearing also that will stay inside the hub when you remove the rotor/hub assembly. You will need to remove the bearing and seal from the rear of the old rotor/hub to reinstall in the new rotor/hub unless you plan to replace the bearings as well. Be sure the pack the new bearings with fresh grease before installing in the hub. You will also need new grease seals. Some folks will reinstall the old bearings and seals, but it is easy and cheap enough to just replace them with new.
Good Luck.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 08-31-03, 07:09 AM
Hey Billy,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I had taken a photo of this because I don't know if I can explain the difference well enough to make the picture in ya'lls mind but I'll try.

What has me stymied for the present is instead of a cotter pin there is a small center cap that is pressed into the spindle nut and the cap is held on by a very strong round snap ring. The snap ring is in front of the spindle nut and behind the center cap and I cannot figure a way to get it out because it is wedged so tightly between the two.

I have tried tapping the ring at the separation with a small, flat punch and hammer to try to get the end out of the groove and work it loose around the spindle but no luck. Heck, the thing doesn't even turn when I tap the end it is so tightly held and the ring is very strong to boot. Not sure just what to do next.

I've wondered if I tightened the spindle nut a bit would it allow me some play for the retaining ring to come out but have been reluctant to do so. If I tried that and it still would not come off and I back the spindle nut tight against the ring again would that put it at about the amount of play???

So far I just placed the new pads on because my son had worn the old ones till they were well into the tattle tales and will wait till I can get it figured out.

Old 08-31-03, 07:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look in autolibrary.org below. If they don't have a 4 Runner listed, try a pickup.

Old 08-31-03, 08:19 AM
Sorry can't help you on this one, never seen a 2WD 4-Runner of that year.

Have seen the latter version. It should be the same a 4WD except there is plugs where the axel would be.

2WD pick-up totally different.

There should be double nuts with a locking plate(with tabs) holding the wheel bearing.

Larry

Old 08-31-03, 08:54 AM
I dont really understand why you would have a snap ring on a 2wd vehicle. The only thing I can suggest is to go to Sears and get yourself a pair of duckbill type snap ring pliers and attempt to remove the snap ring that way. These things are supposed to come off in a certain order and you have to do them that way. All of the information (and from what I can remember on vehicles I have worked on) this should just have a nut and a washer, then the bearing. IF you can turn the nut and it looks like nothing else is obstructing it then you should take it off first and see where you are from there. I am sorry I cant help you better than this.
Billy

Old 09-02-03, 04:44 PM
It's basically the way I told you before. It is the same a 4wd except there is no drive axel and plugs in the holes where the axel would be. I have attached a photo of the service manuel pertaining to removing the rotor.

There is no need to remove any snap ring.

Larry

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fix...wd.jpg&.view=t