Honda dying intermittently

Old 08-30-03, 10:05 AM
bustertech
Visiting Guest
Question Honda dying intermittently

I have a '99 Honda Accord LX and it started dying on me about a week ago. It's got a 2.3L VTEC with Automatic transmission. I can't find anything about this anywhere. I've tried running it with no radio or A/C running and get the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I'm decellerating and accelerating. When the A/C is running and this happens, it cuts off. After trying to start the car 2 or 3 times, it starts up and runs fine. It's not running rough and I don't believe it's a gas problem (I've had 2 tanks of gas in it and put in a gas additive to clean the injectors). The car has 55K on it and has never given me any problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 04:40 PM
How does it die? Does it shut off quick like turning off the key or does it buck or pop? I have seen ignition switch problems on some of these where the power is lost to the pgm relay. There is a tsb on this for civics.

Old 08-30-03, 08:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree, need more detail.

Old 08-30-03, 08:49 PM
Check all of your basics first. Make sure it isn't something simple.

A lot of these cars had Main Relay problems where the fuel pump would not enerize much like when a GM pick up coil would crap out. Mostly when hot. If after everything else checks out ok, if it seems the fuel pump isn't energizing you may want to look in this direction. Just a hint.