87 mazda 626 overheats via reservior

Old 09-01-03, 06:12 AM
87 mazda 626 overheats via reservior

Within the last two days my car all of a sudden began overheating and overflowing from reservior. This occurred on two short trips (10 mins both city and highway). Fan works no leaks. The car is a 87 mazda 626 manual. The radiator has not been flushed or otherwise serviced for some time.

This morning started the car cold and let it idle (with a fluid topped off radiator/reservior). It idle for 17 min with the temp slowly rising to between 1/2 to 2/3 of the temp gauge at which point the fan came on. After 20 minutes, it slowly discharged a small volume of water from the reservior (a pint or so) and stopped. The temp seemed to stabilze at 2/3 of the gauge where it remained for the next 25 min.

After the 45 min I took it for a short spin (3-4 miles) and the temp slowly rose to the upper limits of the operating conditions. During the drive it overflowed fluid from the resevior and was on it way to overheating when I stopped it.

From other posts it seems that I probably would want to check the thermistat (is that the sensor located at the base of the radiator) and/or flush the system. I would think these are relativly simple jobs which could be done relativly easy.

Any comments or advice are appreaciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-03, 08:43 AM
good start

Sounds like a good place to start to me since you said it has been a long time.Flush system and install new thermostat it needs it anyway.
Dont forget to have you heater on so you can get the nasty old stuff in the heater core.

Old 09-01-03, 10:51 AM
thanks for the advice about the heater, was unaware.

I went to change the thermostat, removing the two nut on the flange (containing the thermostat), however, can't seem to get it to budge, any suggestion on how to get this off.

Old 09-01-03, 11:01 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
spray it down with a rust penetrating spray--it works on aluminum corrosion too.

then try tapping it slightly with a hammer. (slightly)

Old 09-01-03, 11:04 AM
remove

If you have a new one already just pry it out it look at the new one it just sits in there and probbably is just a little corroded.
Make sure you install it the right way and not upside down.It says on the new one with way toward radiatior.Also make sure to clean mating surface and innsall new gasket.

Old 09-01-03, 02:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with all others. Flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat and give it a once over. Make sure the belts and hoses are in good shape as well.

Don't overheat the car extensively. Aluminum engines don't like overheating and you'll do this car in quickly by driving it overheated.

Old 09-02-03, 05:50 AM
It was the thermostat, clean and flushed the cooling system for good measure.

Thanks all,

Old 09-02-03, 06:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job.