Frozen lug nuts

Old 09-01-03, 10:00 AM
MarkMacD
Visiting Guest
Frozen lug nuts

I have a 1992 Dodge Caravan, with a flat tire. The lug nuts have a cap on then which have all come off over time. The lug are now inbetween sizes on the lug wrench. To top that off the lug nuts are frozen on. I have neen told to try to force the smaller size wrench on - didnd't work. To try to break the lug nuts. To cold chisel them off. At this point I do not care if I damage the studs and have to replace them I just want to get the lug nuts off any way possible. SAuggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-03, 10:57 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
when the crome cap is missing, it is then an 18mm nut, use a six point socket and it will work fine, a 12 point will further round them off

also spray a little wd-40 or any other good rust penetrant on the threads

Old 09-01-03, 02:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The lugs are wiped, don't try to save them.....

As noted, jam a socket on there, whip them off. They will break---it's ok.

Go to the parts store and get all new studs and nuts. Using a lump hammer (after removing the brakes and rotor), drive out what's left of the old studs.

Using the nuts, tighten the studs until all the serrations (grooves)are not visible and the stud's flange is flush with the hub. Install the brakes, wheel and nuts, and you're done.

You can buy studs with a cut out (so they clear the back of the hub) from any parts store. Dorman makes them this way.

Old 09-03-03, 08:59 PM
Do Chrysler products still use right hand threads on one side of the car and left hand on the other? Look for an R or L stamped in the center of the stud.

Old 09-03-03, 10:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you change the studs, put some anti-seize lubricant on them. It should cost less than $5 a can at a car parts store. This will help you in the future when you need to change a tire. You will find that the lug nuts probably will not rust on to the studs.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT !!

Old 09-04-03, 03:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Chrysler vehicles are righty tighty lefty loosey .

They haven't been LH threads for years. My parents had a 1941 Plymouth project car and that had LH and RH threaded lug nuts (actually bolts).

Old 09-04-03, 07:39 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
18mm 6ix point socket with a rachet extension "cheater bar". Replace any broken studs and replace ALL the lugs. And yes, do use antiseize! It will prevent this in the future.