Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sham Oil Pressure Gauge

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 07:33 AM   #1  
Paul300
Sham Oil Pressure Gauge

All three of my 1990s vehicles came with a sham oil pressure gauge. It either indicates "normal" for pressure above a set amount (probably around 5 to 7 psi) or "low" for less pressure. This "gauge" is far worse than the old warning light, which told you as much and at least would wake you up to the fact of a loss in pressure. Who sits and watches a gauge all the time? Anyway, I put a real (mechanical) oil pressure gauge in one of my vehicles and am so pleased with it that I am planning to do the same to my other two vehicles (motorhome and wifes van). Seems Ford's have had the sham gauge for at least the last 20 years (my old '84 had it), and I presume Chevy and Chrysler do it also.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 07:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
No, GM does not do this. GM vehicles read actual engine oil pressure.

Yes, Fords have a "dummy" gauge that is nothing more than a glorified light to make or break the specified pressure.

Another "Quality is Job 1" idea from the Ford Motor Company.

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 07:55 AM   #3  
Paul300
Originally posted by Joe_F
No, GM does not do this. GM vehicles read actual engine oil pressure.

Yes, Fords have a "dummy" gauge that is nothing more than a glorified light to make or break the specified pressure.

Another "Quality is Job 1" idea from the Ford Motor Company.
I was told by a Ford engineer that they went to the sham gauge because people saw the needle varying on the real gauge and would bring the car in saying there is something wrong with it. Rather than educate, negate. Give'm blinders to shut them up.

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 07:56 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Coupled by the fact that many Ford 302s eat oil pumps and have oil pressure problems, I'd agree .

Search this Thread