Posts that disappear?

Old 08-30-03, 07:49 AM
Question Posts that disappear?

Are posts being deleted? I have noticed posts I reply to just completely vanishing. What's going on or what's the reason for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-03, 09:53 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
including my post yesterday of"disappearing posts"

that got deleted too

we'll see how long this one lasts

i noticed three missing from yesterday

Old 08-30-03, 11:35 AM
Well What's up with that JOE F? Do you know anything about this? I don't waste my time posting valuable information on here to have it deleted for no reason. Please explain.

Old 08-30-03, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, I have noticed the same thing. In fact an entire reply I once posted was wiped. Someone like to play games it seems.
Billy

Old 08-30-03, 03:54 PM
Disappearing posts

Posts that contain discussion that are in violation of standard internet forum discussion policies will be removed until Adminstration publishes the upcoming policies and rules for our community forums. Until those are published, it is advisable to visit other internet forums and do some research for what is acceptable as standard internet forum behavior in regard to posting. We are all awaiting the posting of documented policies and procedures for this website. Until then, inappropriate posts and posts that are in violation of standard and acceptable internet community posts will be removed.

Up until now, the DIY.com website has operated under the assumption that all Moderators and Members are familiar with the accepted & standard accepted rules of posting & internet etiquette & behavior. Due to recent events on the website, Administration has discovered that it must post rules of operation. These are forthcoming. In the meantime, those posts by folks who are ignorant of the rules of standard internet forum behavior and are in violation of those will be removed until the forthcoming policies are published.

Forums are not an appropriate place to discuss corrective actions taken by Administration, Super Moderators, or Moderators. It is not a place to call to task corrective actions taken by Administration, Super Moderators, or Moderators. Such discussion should be directed to Administration via email or Private Message (PM) at [email protected]; Sharp_Advice.com; [email protected] Continued posts in this regard will be moved or deleted. We have a worldwide readership and all posts must be acceptable to a worldwide readership. Personal issues with website policies should be personally directed to Administration via PM and email. If you want to know why threads or posts have disappeared, it is because a violation has occurred. Be ever cautious of posts in internet forums because of the worldwide readership.

Again, if you have personal issues regarding corrective actions, communicate directly as instructed above. The public forums is not an appropriate place to air dirty laundry and attack administration re: policies & rules & corrective actions.

Old 08-30-03, 03:58 PM
I think God has spoken...

Old 08-30-03, 08:34 PM
You mean someone just spoke out of their rear end. How about you answer the question at hand? It seems to me that posts that are not even close to violating any internet forum rules are dismissed for the sole reason that they've out smarted a moderator. Not that they insulted anything more than an ego. Show me an inapropriate post of mine in the last 24 hours of the deleted ones? Why not delete the post of the person that violated the forums rules. not the entire thread? BS Me thinks. Let's see how long this one lasts. I'll save this one for Nostalgia.

Old 08-30-03, 08:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Twelvepole:

Sounds like the voice of the forum, that is the customer (the posters) have spoken. How will the forum respond?

Since your post has nothing to do with automotive, shouldn't you be deleting it?

Also, what is taking the forum so long to write up this "Policy" you speak of? Seems to me that those involved are dedicated to such endeavors and are not minding/moderating other forums, so there should be plenty of time to draft such procedures, ratify and initiate them.

Perhaps if the "Post Police" spent LESS time editing posts and more time fixing the technical problems plauging this forum, we'd be miles ahead of the rest.

Priorities are everything...........

Old 08-30-03, 09:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
twelvepole----if you mind answering my question here, i'd appreciate it.

I DID e-mail the "[email protected]" twice, as well as the webmaster, all without any response or any help whatsoever. my problem---i couldn't log in for 6 days and had to change my screen name so i could be on here. password worked, it said "thank you for logging in" then right back to the 'please log in page'

since no one answered my 'help' e-mails at the administration, maybe you can respond here.

this would definitely improve your "worldwide readership"

while your at it, maybe someone should change this forum's name to "website not responding" i usually give up after 4 failed log in attempts.

think of the "worldwide readership" lost when nobody can open this site

Last edited by mike from nj; 08-30-03 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-30-03, 09:20 PM
Amen Mike.....

....and since when does offering someone technical advice on the question they asked violate your so called policies? I too have contacted the administrators on a certain issue and have never even so much as seen a KMA reply and the issue still goes on. I am getting pretty disgusted with the way things are run so haphazardly around here. Not trying to start a debate or discussion otherwise, but if it is so important to follow the etiquette set forth, then why are we the posters the only ones who are being made to conform?
Billy

Old 08-30-03, 09:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Billy:

I just experienced that "you are not logged in" jazz JUST NOW trying to reply to this post.

Earlier, I had Mike's problem of "Website not replying". Kinda sucks to type a long reply to a post and then lose it to a "no reply" type scenario.

Not sure of what your issue is, but shoot, I'd be happy if they found a replacement mod to fill the void left by Knuckles leaving.

That and licking the technical problems here would be a grand start.

Over and out----that's if this post doesn't meet the "website not replying" fate. LOL.

Old 09-01-03, 11:21 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
well twelvepole, at least you're consistent----you didn't answer to my post nor did anyone answer my requests for 'help' at "[email protected]"

how is it inappropriate to compare the diagnosis of a human body with diagnosis of an automobile?

the obvious aside, they both require extensive testing, a repair and then a verification of the repair with more testing. guessing at a repair on either usually ends up with a misdiagnosis

that's what knuckles had edited from his post, and what i somewhat typed to the person with the dodge colt, which ended with the entire thread being deleted.

think what that person is telling the 'worldwide readership' "i posted a question, then someone deleted the entire thread!"

????

Old 09-01-03, 04:12 PM
Re: Disappearing posts

It's the arrogance of twelvepole's post I find insulting. Think about it. Follow the rules or we'll delete your posts. Of course we ourselves don't know what the rules are yet but when we figure it out we'll let you know, until then don't be concerened because your posts/threads have disappeared because other people in the world cannot read them either.

And if that's not confusing enough how about... We want you to follow the rules we don't have by adhering to general internet forum rules that don't exist either. Apparently twelvepole has not been to many other forum areas where even disgusting and demeaning topics are accetpable to their worldwide readership. I don't in anyway condon nor participate in such but apparently someone needs to point out there is NO standard internet forum discussion policy. If I'm wrong then show me. Better than that publish it here for us unlearned and this ole country boy'll be glad to follow it till ya'll figure out the other one... you know the one that you don't have either.

And speaking of the internet being worldwide, when did that get to be such news... been that way for a very long time now not just lately. But if you want a better explanation from us than that contact us thru proper channels. Of course we ain't gonna answer you but at least maybe you'll feel better.

And I especially like the couple of mentions that the forums are not the proper place to discuss policies, rules and corrective actions but somehow that didn't stop twelvepole from doing just that.

My thoughts from this part of the world wide arena.

Just don't stop me till I start a'lying!
PS - When you try to stand for everything you'll be remembered as someone who stood for nothing.

Old 09-02-03, 06:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well said, Scrollmaster.