brake lights don't work when headlamps on

Old 09-02-03, 04:38 PM
SMTodd
Visiting Guest
brake lights don't work when headlamps on

My daughter's 1991 eagle summit: the brake lights don't work when you turn on the headlights. They work (somewhat dimly) when you turn just the parking lights on, and fairly normal when headlamps and parking lights are off. All fuses are fine. Any ideas?

Steven

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-03, 10:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
is this a mitsubishi type car--renamed

from your description, you have lost the ground to the rear sockets--common on most cars/trucks.

take out the rear taillight housings, and look closely at the gound wires. sometimes the ground breaks inside the socket, you would need a toothpick to permanently wedge it back together. some cars have a 'ribbon' type wiring that can break. if this car is like a colt, i seem to remember tightening loose ground wires in the rear somewhere(it's been a while).

you can verify this by temporarily substituting a ground wire and seeing if everything works, then you should be able to take it from there

let us know

Old 09-03-03, 03:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

The Summit is an Eagle product which is a Mitsu rip off in disguise, much like the Colt was in years past.

Most of these cars used some kind of metallic socket and the grounds turn to dust as you stated. Also, water in the lenses will cause corrosion and problems. I've been behind many a Japanese car with a leaky taillight. LOL. (can see the water sloshing around in there)

Old 09-11-03, 02:35 PM
SMTodd
Visiting Guest
Stop lights didn't work when headlamps on

Thanks all for the advice - it was a ground problem that I wouldn't have found on my own. I bypassed the existing ground connection and everything worked.

Old 09-11-03, 08:40 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
thanks for writing back and letting us know, many others benefit from your reply too

Old 09-12-03, 04:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Good for you and good job.