ford f250 brakes

Old 09-02-03, 05:48 PM
dean0311
Visiting Guest
Question ford f250 brakes

i would appreciate any help u can give me. I have a 1996 f-250. i had a caliper hang up so now i need to replace everything including the rotors. i have manual locking hubs and havent ever had the pleasure of taking them apart. i have a haynes manual but it is very vague. i took off the covers, pulled the first snap ring. there is a snap ring next. i dont have the snap ring pliers so i have to get a set tomorrow. once i pull that will the body assembly slide right out, and then will the rotor come right off. also, am i going to have to replace the wheel bearings? i would appreciate any insight as to the what needs to be done to finish this project. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-03, 09:31 PM
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

This is the link to look up a diagram of your front axle. input the year then f250 then click on the model you have, to get a to the correct info you will have to dig through the information to get to what you need, take your time you will find it, I did. When you get to the picture you need of your axle click on the picture it will explode to a picture that is easier to look at.
Or as Joe_F would say pitch the Haynes get a Ford shop manual, or $25 for a 1 year Alldata subscription that will cover it also.
Only do one side at a time so you can look at the other side if you get into trouble.
4 wheel drive hubs can be intimidating the first time you do them, go slow lay the parts out on a clean surface as you take them apart, assemble in the reverse order.

Old 09-03-03, 07:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Dale is 100% correct.

Excellent advice. Autolibrary SHOULD have what you want, if not try the local library to see if they have a Mitchell or Motor manual there.

Beyond that, time for a service manual. I read the Haynes manual for my Trans Am when I need a good laugh, it's virtually useless.

Just for a perspective, I probably have every repair book written for my 1979 and 1980 Trans Ams, the GM OEM by far blows them all to shreds, excepting the wiring diagrams. For that I have some old Mitchells I saved from the trash, as well as a 1979 Motor book I got for 6 bones at the Englishtown, NJ swapmeet (95 bucks new).

Only reason the wiring diagrams are lackluster in the 79 Pontiac book is because Pontiac didn't have them ready at the time of print and they were "to be included at a later date". Fat chance of that, never happened.

Old 09-04-03, 04:11 PM
dean0311
Visiting Guest
appreciate your help guys. i have been out of town for work for the last couple of days and havent had a chance to get back to it. im on my way out to the garage now. thanks again.