Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1981 Chevy Citation

Visiting Guest

09-03-03, 09:24 PM   #1  
4Deb4
1981 Chevy Citation

1981 Chevy Citation

Evidently the flywheel needs to be replaced on my '81 Citation. The alternator and starter were replaced about two months before the flywheel going out - possibly due to initial improper placement of starter or alternator. I am totally ignorant when it comes to vehicles, but I'm disabled with three small children and extremely poor - so I'm trying to find out as much as possible. I have a friend who said he'd try to work on it but says he doesn't know much about FRONT wheel drives. I don't have a Chilton / Haynes manual but am looking for a used copy. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 03:36 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Go to your local library and find an old Chilton, Motor or Haynes book in their collection. That should give him some guidance.

This vehicle is likely to too old to be listed in autolibrary.org below, but you can try a year or two up from 1981. These winners didn't change much from '80 to '85.

You can probably find a used flywheel at www.junkyarddog.com. Put in a parts request there and yards that have one will respond.

A new flywheel, if still available from GM probably exceeds the car's value (and it's likely discontinued from GM by now).

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 07:51 AM   #3  
4Deb4
Chevy Citation

What category should I use for flywheel? I found the car but then it asks what category (i.e. engine, electrical, etc.). Flywheel was not listed in their alphabetical listings. (I really am "ignernt" when it comes to cars.)

Side note: I appreciated the "9/11 - 'All Gave Some' " - I do this song at karaoke - it's my second most requested song.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 08:27 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Don't look up any parts, let the yard do the work.

Simply fill out a parts request form with the information and they will tell you if they have the part or not. Done.

As for the 9/11 saying, it came off a bumper sticker. I live about 1/2 hour from Ground Zero in the NYC burbs.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 02:44 PM   #5  
4Deb4
Thanks, Joe. I filled a parts request - they needed the engine size which I had no clue how many ccs it has - so I entered 000 and it accepted the request. I'm still checking on the manual - thanks again.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 03:11 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Either a 2.5 liter or a 2.8 Liter.

2.5 is 151 cid
2.8 is 173 cid.

09-04-03, 04:02 PM   #7  
Well, what does it do wrong?
If it makes a loud grinding noise when trying to start, when u hear that noise, metal is being taken off the flywheel. Try to get a technician who will use ac/delco remanufactured parts. It is possble that new starter is destroying your flywheel, or that it needed to begin with when the starter was replaced. It is a labor intensive job to replace a flywheel, so a heads up about that one..

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 04:19 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Or, the starter was not shimmed properly

I agree on the Delco parts.

Search this Thread