Car Runs Rough

Old 09-04-03, 09:38 AM
debby50
Visiting Guest
Car Runs Rough

I have a 1993 Buick Century,6 cylinder. While traveling to Jackson, Ms. I had a problem with my water pump. A mechanic in Jackson replaced it. He noticed that the rubber on the harmonic balancer was coming off. He replaced the balancer He also replaced the serpentine belt. After the balancer was replaced, the car ran rough when idling in park and when in gear but when you are stopped (like at a light or stop sign.) It smooths out after you get moving. I looked under the hood and noticed that the engine seemed to be shimming and I hear a noise like a clacking coming from the vicinity of the harmonic balancer. I took the car back. The mechanic in Jackson said the shimming and roughness was caused by the belt not having the proper tension. He replaced the tension rod. The car runs a little better but the motor still shimmeys and the clacking is still there. I don't know anything about cars, but I feel it is the harmonic balancer. I had a balancer replaced on another car and the part cost $170.00. The balancer that was put on my car costs $96.00. Why was it so cheap? I would like to just replace the balancer with a better one but hesitate to do this because I am not sure if this is the problem. I know the last time I had it done it ran me around $325.00 for parts and labor. What do you think could be the problem? Also, could someone explain to me exactly what is the purpose of the harmonic balancer? I appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-03, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I could swear I answered this exact poster or question over the summer? LOL

Sure, the harmonic balancer will cause jazzing like that. They are known to split on the Buick V6's like that. First place I would look.

It may have also damaged the crank sensor so that might be causing the rough running.

Have it checked by someone competent and if fault is found, bill the first shop for their inability to diagnose the problem and charge you by changing parts.

Old 09-04-03, 11:51 AM
debby50
Visiting Guest
Car Runs Rough

Joe, You did answer this question and yes, I was the poster.Since that post, I brought the car back to the mechanic in Jackson and just wanted to bring everyone up to date. I did not mean to repeat myself. The mechanic in Jackson said the Harmonic Balancer was not the problem, nor was it the crankshaft sensor. He blamed the problems on the tension rod on the serpentine belt, however, replacing this did not solve the problem. What is a crankshaft sensor and what does it do? I appreciate your advice.

Old 09-04-03, 12:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It gives a reference point for timing. It's critical and often damaged and goes bad on GM---but the mechanic can check it for fault before just throwing parts at the problem.

Are you sure you don't have a misfire or bad plug wire? When was the last time the vehicle was tuned up and serviced?

Moreover, Alldata.com (via GM) states:

936E11 JAN 93 Engine Controls - Harmonic Balancer, Ignition Modules,

and futhermore:

306001 JUN 94 Engine - Diagnosing Knock Noise In Front Of Engine

I'd suggest visiting a GM dealer and having those printed out for you. Then bring them back to the mechanic that did the work. They are worth investigating.

If either of them fix the problem, my vote would be to ask this joker for some $$$ back. Throwing parts at the problem won't solve much.

Old 09-04-03, 01:01 PM
debby50
Visiting Guest
Car Runs Rough

Thanks, Joe. The last tuneup I had was about 18 months ago. I'll start there. I have an appointment with a mechanic shop on Monday to have the car checked out. I am sure this shop will be able to figure out the problem. I appreciate all your help.

Search this Thread