Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chevy 350 Restricted Coolant Passage

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 02:20 PM   #1  
mickd
Chevy 350 Restricted Coolant Passage

When I removed the inlet manifold, I noticed that gaskets were installed that everly restricted the coolant flow in the back of the head.

In the new gasket set, they include a restricted gasket as well as a full flow gasket. Any idea on why this would be done?

My head gasket failed on the back cyclinder on the drivers side (no 7). It almost appears that it was croded in the rear coolant passage (looks like it was attacked by air).

Sound plausable?

Sponsored Links

09-04-03, 04:05 PM   #2  
those restrictors are supposed to be there, and installing the incorrect intake gaskets will cause that cooling system to not function at all. I recommend going to the dealer for the gaskets. There is an arrow on the gasket, it must point forward. You are in big trouble if this is not done properly.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 04:17 PM   #3  
Joe_F
What brand of gasket set are you using? Never had a problem with Felpro gaskets and they have a pretty good tech line too.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 04:29 PM   #4  
mickd
I am using a brand ROL. I was planing to use the restricted set as that was the set installed.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 04:31 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Use Felpro. Far superior and better quality.

09-04-03, 05:43 PM   #6  
I may be wrong (again today, I'm on a roll..) but if memory serves correctly, the difference in gasket sets has to do with which type of coolant the truck uses..The restricted gaskets should be for the dexcool systems, the open type for the old style coolant..But I'd surely want to double check..

Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 05:55 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I'd agree, but if the instructions in the kit don't say that, the kit isn't worth beans.

Felpro always has good tech tip sheets right in the box along with a good product.

09-05-03, 09:53 AM   #8  
USE OEM AND U CANNOT GO WRONG....

Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 11:20 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Ya until OEM just starts rebuying aftermarket and reboxing it.

Such as thermostats, EGR valves, and other assorted items which they eventually farm out to other major companies to do it for them .

(But they keep their prices the same ).

Search this Thread