Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Focus making weird sound

09-05-03, 10:28 AM   #1  
Ford Focus making weird sound

The Car is a 2001 Ford Focus Wagon - 2.0..

My wife brought the car home today and I had to take it on a short drive (about 30 minutes away on the highway) and the car had been driven about 30 minutes before I got in it. Once I hit the highway there was a noise that sounded like a "Pssst" coming from the drivers side near the wheel. The car also seemed to miss for a second and then back to normal. It would stop making the sound and continue going about 75 and then "Pssst" it would happen again and the car would miss at the same time but only for a second. And then drive fine. I could feel it in the peddle too.. I had set the cruise and just would wait for it to do it again and again ever few minutes. I tried it with:
- the AC on (still did it, but seemed more frequent)
- with the AC off (still did it)
- at lower mph.. didn't do it as often.
- higher speeds .. seemed more often

later the car sat about 1 and a half hours and i drove it back home on the 1/2 hour trip. The car didn't do it at all through the same test that I did above. My wife said it only did it to her 2 days ago, but not since.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Charlie

Last edited by ataririot; 09-05-03 at 10:51 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 11:19 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Ya, bring it back to Ford. Their problem, not yours. Covered by the factory warranty.

Unfortunately, the Focus has been much less than stellar and is the subject of a ton of recalls, bulletins and problems. Ford was suggested to take it off the market .

I'd have the Ford dealer check it out and they should give you whatever free repairs you need to get it "fixed".

09-05-03, 11:36 AM   #3  
We actually are beyond our warranty.. the car has 75k on it.. it was a 70k warranty..

any ideas on what the problem could be?

the car has had a few problems.. the fuel pump went.. that was covered by the warranty.. but up to 75k we really haven't had any other problems with it.. just the usual brake pads, tires, and oil changes, etc.

Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 11:39 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Could be anything really. Bad coil pack, bad ignition wires, vacuum leak, etc. Tough to say without really getting into it.

If the vehicle has not seen a tuneup or maintenance in a while, that is the place to start.

If you are only 5k over, I'd still be asking Ford to eat the repair. Have the dealer look at it and tell them that you feel you deserve something only being 5k out (called a Goodwill warranty).

That's surprising for a Focus. Most folks have had trouble with them. I wouldn't drive one if you gave me one. Very poor quality and lots of problems .

09-05-03, 11:43 AM   #5  
I will try that.. thanks for the tip.

ford once told us we didn't need to change the plugs until 100k.. what do you think about that?

Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 12:04 PM   #6  
Joe_F
I don't really think much about Fords

No car of mine would have spark plugs in it for 100k, no way, no how.

50k is pushing it. 75k WAY overdue.

Search this Thread