Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE - power steering line

09-05-03, 11:29 AM   #1  
1992 Pontiac Sunbird LE - power steering line

Does anyone know anything about replacing power steering lines? My husband has a 1992 Sunbird LE automatic. There appears to be a leak in the line to the power steering pump. He keeps filling it up with power steering fluid and within 1 day his steering starts making a strange noise again. He can't figure out how to get this old line out and a new one in. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 11:33 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Which line are we talking about? The lines on the rack and pinion or the lines on the pump?

You'll likely need a metric flare wrench to get the lines off the back of the pump and access is tight in those engine compartments.

09-05-03, 12:48 PM   #3  
I'm not sure which line it is. Perhaps you could explain about both lines. I know he was going to try to work on it tomorrow. Thanks.

09-05-03, 01:10 PM   #4  
IF U LIVE IN AREA WHERE THEY USE SALT, IT IS PROBABLY THE COOLER LINE,WHICH IS IN THE RETURN SIDE, WHERE YOU WOULD SEE THE FLUID ON THE GROUND UNDER AROUND WHERE THE PASSENGER DOOR OPENS. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO BYPASS IT WITH HYDRAULIC HOSE IF THIS IS THE CASE.

Visiting Guest

09-05-03, 01:22 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Best bet:

Hit any GM dealer and ask for the exploded view of the hoses and how they are installed. The parts person can print this out in two seconds.

You can then compare it to yours and see what you need to buy. Most parts stores stock fitted OEM style hoses for most applications.

WV

09-08-03, 04:33 PM   #6  
Sorry I tried posting the other day, but the Forums server was giving me a fit. The hoses you are asking about are quite easy to get to. They pay just under an hour apiece per Alldata. Both of the lines are at the back of the engine near the firewall. The return hose is basically just a rubber hose with clamps. The pressure hose has steel fittings that go into the pump and the rack.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

09-09-03, 06:38 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Yea, I tried to post as well and it just bounced back with "Try again soon, upgrading software to serve you better"

Search this Thread