spindle bearing or hub bearing?

Old 09-08-03, 04:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
spindle bearing or hub bearing?

93 Taurus Wagon, POS.

My mechanic says the spindle bearing is bad on the left front of the car. I have looked but find no reference to a spindle bearing, only a hub bearing that rides on the spindle. I am also told that it (spindle bearing) is $80 and has to be special ordered.

I haven't gotten an alldata subscription because DH says I'm not to work on this car, but I think I may have to go against his wishes, at least until I can find another mechanic (current mechanic is my son that works at a local shop lol). All I can find in my book on the car is what I mentioned above (hub bearing).

Thanks guys. I'll be glad when I can unload this car!

Kay

Old 09-08-03, 06:33 PM
B
I guess it would be called a hub bearing as it really doesnt have a spindle, may be something you may want a shop to do often it requires removal of steering knuckle and old bearing pressed out and new one pressed back in and then knuckle reinstalled on car.
this can be alot of work especially if you dont have air tools at your disposal.

Old 09-08-03, 07:16 PM
I did have air tools, but #1 son 'stole' them for his job LOL. All my tools are at the shop. Not a good thing. I did talk to him about it tonight, and showed him the book. He'll check into it more for me tomorrow. He's going to get another mechanic to coach him through this. I use my son, for one it makes him money, and two I get his discount. May not always be the best way to go though.

Thanks for the input. I would prefer the work to be done at a shop. I don't have much experience with this type deal. I did replace a ball joint on my 79 blazer. That was tough!

Kay

Old 09-09-03, 06:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at autolibrary.org below for R&R details.

One option: Take the whole knuckle and bearing out and have a shop or a machine shop do the R&R for you. Then put the knuckle back in and get a wheel alignment ASAP.

Many parts stores have machine shops and they will R&R the bearing for less money if you've bought the part there.

It has no spindle like a rear drive car. It has a sealed bearing/hub assembly. Any parts store (a good one) should stock this, common part.

Old 09-09-03, 09:19 AM
I love you guys to death, and apparently my son will listen to you instead of me LOL. They found the parts, correct ones. I have a choice of buying a hub with bearing, or just the bearing. There is also a bearing press at the shop and a boy there that can do it for me. I will go ahead and have the shop do it all and the alignment immediately as well.

I will also pay extra to get the lifetime alignment. After the postings on the world wide web as far as my car goes: I need it. I also need lifetime rotor replacements, etc LOL. Well, not really funny but par for the course of my POS car.

It will be next week before I can get it into the shop. I will let you know how it goes.

Kay

Old 09-09-03, 09:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Sounds like you've got it basically covered.

Old 09-16-03, 03:53 PM
Yea! Its all fixed. It was hub bearings, and needed to be fixed. It appears that it has been that way for a long time. They were surprised that my wheel hadn't tried to make a brake {oops, break LOL} for it. The right side was fine, but we replaced it as well. All fixed now though, and also had a four wheel alignment while there.

Now I need rear struts on the car. Yuk. That will be for another day, and another paycheck

Thanks again guys!

Kay

Last edited by kaybyrd; 09-17-03 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 07:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure thing Kay, good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: