Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help with stalling problem

Visiting Guest

09-09-03, 11:24 AM   #1  
takers
Help with stalling problem

I have a 1987 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3.8l v6 engine. I have been experiencing intermittent engine stalling so I checked the fuel pressure and it read 30psi with the key turned on so I replaced the fuel pump and filter and now I get a 40PSI reading with the key turned on which matches the info in the Haynes manual.

After replacing the fuel pump the car runs for approx 10 minutes and begins to miss and usually stalls within a minute or so after it begins to miss/sputter. I then replaced the coil/module and put in new spark plugs and wires. The problem persisists.

It is interesting to note that no codes are being set to help me out. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-09-03, 01:31 PM   #2  
Joe_F
STOP! Do not change parts before testing first.

Throw out the Haynes manual---useless for any serious repair. Alldata.com or OEM manual only.

Start with my "The Basics" post below. Use autolibrary.org to guide you as a start to test parts.

Common misfire areas on this vehicle: Plugs, wires, crank sensor, harmonic balancer.

09-09-03, 01:56 PM   #3  
CARRY A GALLON JUG OF WATER WITH YOU, AND THE NEXT TIME IT STALLS, SPLASH SOME WATER ON THE CRANK SENSOR, WHICH IS BEHIND THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY, HAS THREE WIRES GOING TO IT , AND THEN SEE IF IT STRAIGHTENS ITSELF OUT(UNTIL IT GETS HOT AGAIN ANYWAY) IF IT DOES, IT MAY NEED THAT CRANK SENSOR, WHICH THOSE OLD 3.8'S WERE NOTORIOUS FOR...
YOU DIDN'T SAY IF IT RESTARTS RIGHT AWAY OR NOT...

Search this Thread