Old Oil still usable??

Old 09-09-03, 01:42 PM
Old Oil still usable??

Would appreciate any opinions...

I have some Valvoline 10w 30 that was bought in large quantities in 1999 or 2000. I was wondering if it is still usable. It has rermained unopened since purchased.

Thanks,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't be afraid to use it if it were mine.As long as it meets the specs for the car you intend on putting it in go for it.

Old 09-09-03, 02:43 PM
good oil

I would use it if it were mine and I used that brand I dont think oil has a shelf life as it is not a zillion years old.Gas is a diffrent story but oil will be good.

Old 09-09-03, 05:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I have oil older than that as I buy it almost by the pallet load when it's on sale.LOL.

You have to figure if it was good for your car in 1999, your car doesn't require newer standards, so it's good.

Today's oil might be slightly better for it, but what you have is certainly not 'bad'.

Old 09-09-03, 08:16 PM
Smile Thanks!

Thank you all, for affirming what I was leaning towards believing. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference from something that I bought yesterday. I didn't figure oil to have a shelf life, but it makes me feel better hearing your opinions.

Besides, I'd be using it in my "work car", which is good enough for her...haha.....an '87 Grand Marquis with 140,000 miles on it, and it's now pink form the primer showing through.....I washed all the paint off over the years....

Just kidding, she still runs great, thus my concern that I wouldn't do anything to hurt her!!

Old 09-09-03, 08:46 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
actually all that old oil is very dangerous to even touch, let alone use!!

the next time i'm in chicago, you should give it all to me so i can dispose of it properly(haa haa)

a joke

Old 09-10-03, 06:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
"NOS" motor oil can be donated to Joe_F c/o this forum at.....

LOL

Old 09-12-03, 02:08 PM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
I would like to add a comment: before you use that oil. shake the container well before you use it. Sometimes due to changes in temperature, some of the additives will "drop out" and settle in the bottom of the can. I always shake the container before I open it as a matter of habit.