'92 Blazer (no temp reading)

Old 09-10-03, 07:22 PM
'92 Blazer (no temp reading)

1992 Blazer with Voryex V-6 ran hot with the wife. I had to go get it. Let it cool some , replaced water, and drove it home ( about 3 miles). Seemed to run okay. Now I have no temp reading and it runs rough. I am thinking the temp sensor is coated with rust and it is not sending a signal to feed the appropriate amount of fuel to the throttle body (barring a blown gasket or warped head. I have had trouble with rust in the coolant before. Comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-03, 10:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most "Chevy" designed engines have the sender in the LH cylinder head are from what I remember. Jiggle the wire and watch the gauge. If it floats/stutters/moves, you found your problem.

Sure a dead sensor coated with rust will wipe it out. Sender is cheap at any parts store.

Old 09-10-03, 11:14 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it would have to be over an inch of rust to insulate the sensor that much, and it still would probably work, just take longer to warm up, you may just have an air pocket that is not letting the sensor read the coolant temp, or you may have a more serious problem

what was that i recently heard about these engines being notorious for cracked intake gaskets--leaking coolant into the oil?

better investigate ASAP as that will eat the crank bearings in a heartbeat, pun intended. (and that i've seen myself)

ps. you should have two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer, it's unlikely that both got coated with rust at exactly the same time.

search the archives for more info or wait for someone else to chime in

Old 09-11-03, 05:03 AM
ps. you should have two sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer, it's unlikely that both got coated with rust at exactly the same time

May not have gone bad at the same time. I had trouble with the temp sensor not registering or taking a long time to register before, but it din't make it run rough. I guess I need to run down the one for the computer. I basically should brought it home and parked it. If it has a cracked gasket, maybe no serious damage has been done yet. I'll try to get around to checking it in a day or two. Too many irons in the fire right now. With the electronics on vehicles nowadays (even one this old), I thought I would see if there was anything I needed to check that I hadn't thought of.

Tx for the replies.

P.S. If I do the chemicle flush again, should I let it sit in the block a while to give it time to work. I had just poured it in and backflushed before and let flush till clear then some. Didn't seem to help at all. The next time I flushed, the same thing, more rust in coolant.

Old 09-11-03, 07:17 AM
Real low on coolant will cause sensors not to read engine temp.

Old 09-11-03, 02:54 PM
How hot did u get it? and what where the symptoms?
If u drove it with out coolant in it, those engines would tulip the intake valves, which means major engine work....
you'll know it if it happened, it will have a dead skip on at least one cylinder. Definately a no-no to drive an engine that is overheating. Tow bills are much less......

Old 09-12-03, 08:11 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
big guy---for my own curiosity, (i can picture a 'tuliped' valve, never seen one though)why the intake valves only, why not both? why at all? are they a different metal, softer maybe? is their location closer to the heat, i would think that would affect the ex. valves more? front cylinders of the block cooler than the back? too many questions?

?