Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Auto Battery

09-10-03, 07:27 PM   #1  
Auto Battery

How do I get rid of an Auto Battery??. My garbage man won't pick it up. I know when you bring your car in and buy a new one, they give a small allowance for the old one. But I goofed. I went to Sears and picked up a Die Hard but forgot to bring the old one. Stupid huh? What are my options??

Sponsored Links

WV

09-10-03, 07:39 PM   #2  
You havea couple of options. You can take it with your original sales receipt back to Sears and get your core charge back, or you can take it to one of the local chain auto parts stores, ie. Advance or Auto Zone, and they will buy it from you for a couple of bucks. Barring that check with your local scrap yard, some of them will take batteries, but wont likely give you anything for it.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

09-10-03, 08:55 PM   #3  
Auto Battery

Very informative Billy, Thanks.

Visiting Guest

09-10-03, 10:26 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Depends on the state's law.

Here in NYC:

1) The Sanitation self help center takes them for recycling
2) Shops have to take them.
3) The buyer I believe has 30 days to bring back the "core" to the place of purchase. Up to 2 a month or something like that.

Just find a place that willingly accepts it and don't just dump it to get rid of it. Sears should take it back as Billy said.

Visiting Guest

09-10-03, 11:38 PM   #5  
mike from nj
sears will take it back with a receipt, and is your best bet, because they already charged you for the old one---go get your money back.

DO NOT 'hide' it in the garbage, if it doesn't start a fire in the garbage truck, the acid will leak out and badly burn someone. on top of that, the 40+ pounds of lead is begging to be recycled and not dumped in the ground somewhere or incinerated!

scrap metal places used to pay $1 for any battery, now it's only 50 cents(around here anyway)

i'll take it

09-11-03, 09:11 AM   #6  
Auto Battery

Thanks for the advice guys. Ron

Search this Thread