Tire wear

Old 09-11-03, 05:46 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Tire wear

Just put new tires on my Lexus RX300 AWD. Front tires seem to be wearing on the outer edges. This was also a problem on the original tires. Had car aligned twice and did not see any improvement. Kept tire pressure at 35 psi religiously and rotated every 5k miles.

When both front tires wear on both outer edges does this indicate an alignment problem or just normal cornering wear?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-03, 06:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See if Alldata.com has any known bulletins. That would be the first thing I would do.

Inflate the tires per the CAR MAKER'S recommendation not the tire makers.

Sounds like there is something wrong in the front end though.

Old 09-11-03, 06:39 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
hustle on down to the dealer. see if they may have an upgraded alignment spec.(it happens) 35PSi sounds a little much to me but whatever your manual sez. Unless you are a real speedster on cornering, and you are rotating every 5K, I dont think this tire wear is normal. But again some manufacture's recommend tire rotation anymore at 6K or less. Good thinking, rotating tires at regular intervals.

Old 09-11-03, 11:27 AM
First of all you didnt tell us what year your Lexus is. Next you should ALWAYS set the tire pressure per the TIRE MAKERS specs not the auto maker. There are so many tires available today that the auto maker cannot determine what tire you are going to put on your vehicle. Their spec is just a reccomendation anyway Not set in stone. Case in point when I worked for Chrysler, they recommended per the sticker on the door to set the tire pressure to 28-34 psi. The factory installed tire on the Town and Country was a Michelin and the tires recommended pressure was 44psi. Alldata says to set the tire pressure to 30 psi, but this is a SUV and the tires will need proper inflation to cut down on premature wear. However as everyone else has said you should not be getting this type of wear in 5k miles. You either have your tire pressure set too low or there is an alignment/suspension problem.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 09-11-03, 11:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd disagree. Since tire company X doesn't know what you are putting it on, how can they recommend the pressure?

Case in point:

Put a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/As on my 1979 Trans Am. Pontiac states the tire pressure should be 30 PSI.

Would you put that same tire pressure on say a 1978 Corvette? GM will say the tire pressure for that is different.

I'd stick with that manufacturer of the vehicle says. If you want to know which tires are approved for your vehicle, you can take the TPC spec # from the original tire and make sure the tires you buy meet/have that spec #. They are then "approved" for your vehicle.

Old 09-11-03, 04:33 PM
Agree with Joe

Understand what you are reading on the sidewall of the tire.

That psi "spec" on the sidewall is part of the load rating and no way is the recommended tire pressure. Always follow the vehicle manufacturers tire pressure

Larry

Old 09-11-03, 05:34 PM
if its just the outer edges of the tires it sounds as if it is out of alignment.
if its both the inner and outer edges of the front tires it is normal wear from cornering which is why you rotate the tires for longer life.
as per tire pressure the manufacturers spec is usually for the best overall performance not necassarily for the best tire wear but close in most cases.

Old 09-11-03, 05:54 PM
firestone all over

Is this not what happend with the Firestone vs Ford when all the expeditions were getting blow outs?
I recall something about the tire mfg had diffrent specs then what Ford had.Since there are so many tires with diffrent speed ratings and load ranges I go with what is on the side of the tire.
Case I had I had a truck that came with LT/245 75 R16 Tires were at 80 psi(stock)I bought some diffrent tires bigger but less plys and they were 65PSI.

Old 09-11-03, 06:16 PM
Ford and Firestone disagreed on the recommended tire presure on the Explorers. Ford wanted a lower one than Firestone recommended for their application. Firestone recommended a couple of lbs higher than Fords to what they thought was a safe load rating. But then how come the other brand tires where able to use Fords pressure and not seperate?

Firestone's pressure was not the one on the sidewall. Thats only the max pressure to be able to obtain that paticular max load rating.

Larry

Old 09-12-03, 03:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Agreed.

If you've ever driven these Explorers, you'll know they drive like buses. With higher PSI in the tires, they will REALLY drive like buses.

Lower tire pressure probably caused heat buildup and that's what helped cause the problem. Also, the quality of the tire was bottom barrel which didn't help things.

The sad thing was that this was all known and the blame went back and forth. Funny, no problem with anyone else!

Old 09-12-03, 04:14 AM
Yeah, thats because no one else put these regular passsenger car tires on a freaking tank like the Exploders. The tires werent capable of handling the weight and Ford didnt tell Firestone that they were buiding the new Sherman.
Billy

Search this Thread