Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda won't start? Read here.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 07:58 AM   #1  
kianje
Honda won't start? Read here.

I have a 93 accord that had most of the intermittent cranking problems that you read about on these different forums for car repair. Doing much research here and elsewhere, most everything led back to the main relay was bad. One repair site even says with these symptoms, "it's always the main relay."
Here it tells you to do all of the checking other things before replacing anything. Well, that is very good advice because my car had all the symptoms that got steadily worse until it got to the point it would not even start. (crank but no start) Taking off the distributor cap, I found alot of corrosion on the rotary and the place where the plug wires connect. (don't know what those are called) A little fine sand paper on both and it cranked right up. No main relay purchase or labor fees. So, "it's not always the main relay!"
Hope this saves someone some cash.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:17 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Good for you. It's always worthy to start with the basics first. I always have, and always will say that.

Sounds like you have some old tuneup parts in there. I would pitch those for Honda OEM parts. Honda has updated/superseded the parts many times.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 06:31 PM   #3  
kianje
Thanks Joe.

Sounds like you have some old tuneup parts in there. I would pitch those for Honda OEM parts.
Will you elaborate on this?

Visiting Guest

09-12-03, 04:17 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Buy the cap in 1999:One part #
Buy the cap in 2000, a new part #
Buy it again in 2001, another new part #.

Point: Honda has had numerous problems with the caps, rotors, ignitors and other ignition components on these and keeps changing part #s, superseding and trying to lick the problem.

That is why you should always be using the updated OEM parts when you tune it up.

On some early 1990's Hondas, the fix from Honda was to replace the distributor so that they were SURE the customer was getting updated parts!

Visiting Guest

09-12-03, 06:20 AM   #5  
kianje
Thanks Joe

09-12-03, 06:24 AM   #6  
Thanks for letting us know. Like Joe said always start with the basics first.

OM

Search this Thread