Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

battery problem I think

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 08:48 AM   #1  
fjclaus
battery problem I think

The past few days my car has been acting up, when the battery indicator light comes on. It had died, and I had it towed to the shop. They replaced the alternter and said I was good to go. That stopped the battery light as well as the "check Engine" light from coming on. Now however when I drove the car 30 minutes to work, the clock on my radio, as well as the area were my odometer is went out. After turning on and off my headlights once these things both came back. The clock did not need to be reset either.

Could this be caused by a weak battery? If so, the battey will only cause the car to not start correct? Once the car is started, I won't have to worry about the car stalling on the road correct?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 08:49 AM   #2  
fjclaus
Sorry. Forgot to mention, it is a 1997 Olds Custlass.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:13 AM   #3  
Joe_F
How old is the battery? If it's older than four years, throw it out. It's spent.

Rebuilt alternators vary widely in quality. Only use AC Delco branded rebuilts. Most others are very poor quality.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:39 AM   #4  
fjclaus
The battery is more than 4 years. I think it is the original battery. The Alternator I am not sure is rebuilt. the garage put it in.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 10:22 AM   #5  
Joe_F
1997 original battery? You got your use out of it. Recycle it for another AC Delco which will give you 7 more years of service.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 10:54 AM   #6  
darrell McCoy
Check the positive post and bolt on the side of the battery, any signs of leakage? maybe it is loose or almost broken off, but yes, if it is original, time for a new delco.

Search this Thread