Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

90 Chev p/u won't start

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:05 AM   #1  
SCZoo3
90 Chev p/u won't start

We have a 1990 Chev Silverado Ext. Cab p/u 4wd. I forget the engine size, but it's the same as a 350, & automatic. It was running great. I went to run a errand and I thought it hesitated for just a second as I took off. I made 2 short stops, 1st one started fine, drove across the parking lot, came out and it won't start. Turns over, but that's it. Also, we noticed there are no brake lights or turn signals (front or rear). Any ideas? Where do we begin? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:12 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start with my "The Basics" below.

09-11-03, 02:50 PM   #3  
I'll bet the fuel pump failed. Try taking a rubber mallet and give the belly of the fuel tank a few gentle taps while somebody is cranking the engine. If it starts, the fuel pump will need to be replaced at some point...

Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 08:59 AM   #4  
SCZoo3
Thanks for your inputs. Finally got back to the truck, after sitting for almost a week it started! Put in a new fuel filter 1st, since it was due to be replaced and it was plugged. But it's not running good yet. It kills or almost kills and has surges of power. The service engine light came on last night driving it home, but is off this morning. What next? Fuel Pressure Regulator? EGR valve? I know in the car it ran the same way and it was the EGR valve.

Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 09:06 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Run to Autozone and have them pull out the trouble codes which are setting the Check engine light. Tell us what they find.

Could have a vacuum leak or a line broken to the MAP sensor for instance.

Search this Thread