Anti-seize Compound

Old 09-12-03, 08:18 AM
Anti-seize Compound

Reading an old post in another forum (bobistheoilguy) I read a comment about the use of anti-sieze compounds which seemed to advise against using the stuff on spark plugs. Is there any reason that I should avoid anti-sieze on my plugs in aluminum heads?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-03, 12:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

It won't hurt a thing, in fact some spark plugs COME with it on it.

I don't use it. I just change my plugs regularly and start them by hand, only removing them when they are ice cold to avoid problems with screwing up the cylinder head threads. Not likely, but I take the extra precaution.

Old 09-12-03, 01:18 PM
JUST BE CAREFUL TO AVOID THE ELECTRODES AS THE ANTI SEIZE COULD PROVIDE AN UNWANTED PATH TO GROUND FROM THE CENTER ELECTRODE

Old 09-12-03, 01:19 PM
P.S. I DON'T USE IT EITHER, MAKES TOO MUCH OF A MESS....

Old 09-12-03, 04:49 PM
I have found it effects the heat range of the plug. It seems to insulate the plug and make it run hotter.

Larry

Old 09-12-03, 05:00 PM
Spark plugs should be torqed to specs.Torque specs assume clean dry threads which you won't have if you use anti-sieze.You could overtorque and damage threads in the head.

Old 09-12-03, 08:01 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
well i use it (sometimes) and i like it

yes, it can be a big mess, yes, it can be a source for ground, so be sure to keep it off the porcelin as well as the electrode parts.

a small dab on the threads is all i use on the platinum (100,000 mile) plugs, in case i'm the one trying to take them out the next time! i love it when i have to remove exhaust parts that someone already put it on the last time, makes my day a little easier. on conventional plugs, that might go 30,000 miles before wearing out, i don't bother.

you heard both sides, it's your choice!

Old 09-14-03, 08:33 AM
The first time you ruin the threads in an aluminum head you will wish you had used it.

These guys must use it by the quart. It makes no mess if you wipe a thin coat around the threads being careful to keep it off the electrodes.

Make sure you follow Joe's advice and try to remove plugs from aluminum heads when the engine is cold.

Old 09-15-03, 04:23 AM
Joe, thanks for the suggestion about removing when cold. I didn't know that it made it easier (except that you don't burn your hands that way.)

Old 09-15-03, 06:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
In theory, this is what you are supposed to do. I have seen people remove them hot without a problem, but I wait it out .

I only own one or two cars with aluminum heads. Most of my cars are old school GM cast iron.

Ya "ain't" boggering up those threads .

Old 09-15-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by car nut
The first time you ruin the threads in an aluminum head you will wish you had used it.

These guys must use it by the quart. It makes no mess if you wipe a thin coat around the threads being careful to keep it off the electrodes.

Make sure you follow Joe's advice and try to remove plugs from aluminum heads when the engine is cold.
MMM, yes, nothing like taking a wheel off after the previous guy painted the studs and the hub with the stuff.

Old 09-15-03, 07:06 PM
We do alot of import tune-ups and I use it on all of them. It is messy, but it makes them easier to get back out. I have seen lots of cars come in with over 100k and have the original resistor plugs in. Not a nice day.
Billy