Maintence

Old 09-12-03, 11:12 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Maintence

I have an Eagle Talon that I have had for over 12 years. I love the car. It still runs smooth. I have recently bought a new car and decide to retire my Talon into the garage.

I like to ask for tips on what I should do before I store it so that it is still in good condition.

Also, my cars runs fine but it does consume lots of oil. When I turn, it also makes clankering noise.

I really like this car. Please advice me on how to keep this car in good condition.

If I decide to replace all the rubber hose, what hose should I be replacing in the first place?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-03, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the engine is old and tired. Rebuild time.

Since you love this one, it's a worthy project to just put it away and rebuild it at your leisure. Get yourself a factory shop manual, take your time and rebuild away.

Old 09-13-03, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Personally, I wouldn't be putting a 12 year old Talon into storage, but to each his own. We're talking about a car that's probably worth less than $1000 considering your comments on its mechanical condition.

Having said that, part of the answer depends on how "deep" into storage you instend to keep it. You mentioned hoses; generally hoses are not an issue on the "front" end of the storage, but are a good idea to replace when coming OUT of storage. Couple of reasons: 1. Whatever hoses you have on it will deteriorate in storage so if it's stored long enough you would want to replace them AGAIN when de-storing it. 2. After a couple of years of listening to the spouse complain about it, you might chuck it anyway.

What you will want to do is replace all fluids, i.e. oil, tranny, and filters. Also fill the gas tank and make sure you put a good fuel stabilizer in.

Wash and wax the interior.
Get some moisture control products and put them inside (Damp-Rid).

Search the automotive forum archive using keyword "storage" and you should get some previous discussions on the matter.

Old 09-13-03, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Hi Joe, didn't think you were out of bed this early on a Saturday.

Old 09-13-03, 01:07 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by the_tow_guy
Personally, I wouldn't be putting a 12 year old Talon into storage, but to each his own. We're talking about a car that's probably worth less than $1000 considering your comments on its mechanical condition.
It is worth less than a 1k but I am keeping it for sentimental reasons. My mom bought my first car for me when I graduated from High school 12 years ago.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen.

Old 09-13-03, 01:08 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
smoke from any mitsubishi engine is 99% of the time valve stem seals, unless you have a turbo issue.

Old 09-13-03, 02:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

TowGuy:

Usually up early most days.

Old 09-14-03, 03:07 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Is it necessary to get a valve job?

Thanks

Old 09-14-03, 07:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
SM:

Minimally, that is why the engine smokes and uses oil. My vote is that you are going to lay up the car for a long time, so just take your time and do it right.

If this were my car, I would freshen up everything so it will be ready when I want it again.

These cars are money pits. Parts are expensive an labor will get up there when you don't do it yourself. Don't be hasty and cheap out and rush it through.

Take the car out of service, store it and work on it at your leisure. Do your research, reading and homework so you can get the best value for your dollar in redoing this vehicle.

As noted, it's not the pick of the litter, but since you like it, you'd like to stick with it. Fine. Just don't fall victim to the pitfalls of many before you who haven't thought out such projects with any detail.

Old 09-14-03, 10:11 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
a complete valve job is only necessary if the compression is low(which means a burn't valve) these engines seem to be pretty good in terms of valves lasting, not so with the seals.

valve stem seals can be done with only taking the valve cover off, a few special tools and an air compressor---no way without that last one. it will take the better part of the day to do and is a fairly technical job, it's more complicated than changing a tire, but not beyond anyone's ability who's willing to learn(also, a lot can go wrong)

what should be your number 1 concern is the timing belt. when it goes, i've seen engines that were completely destroyed, the only good part left was the oil pan and valve cover, then others had no damage, a new belt and the car went down the road, i wouldn't gamble though!

Old 09-14-03, 12:26 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Joe_F, thank you for your generous sound advice!!!

mike from nj, thank you for answer the previous question!!!

If anyone reading this thread, feel free to add additional inputs.

Thanks everyone for your contribution so far.

Old 09-15-03, 06:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem. I have seen many ill-fated projects either come to me for free or I've picked parts off them in junkyards. LOL