Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

auto tranny fluid question

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 01:27 AM   #1  
KatWoman
auto tranny fluid question

I have a 97 Dodge Neon automatic. It requires ATX +3 tranny fluid. Since I don't have the equipment at home to do a tranny service I have to take it to a dealer near my house...one of the few places I trust onlybecause my service writer and the guys in the parts dept treat me right. I do most of the other maintainence work at home with my fiance.

The last time I took it in for a tranny service, my writer informed me that they were now using Dexeron (Dex III) fluid. This scared me because last time I checked at the store, ATF +3 fluid there was geared toward Chrysler products, and the Dexeron fluids were geared toward GM and imports. It is my understanding that the Dexeron fluid would make the gears in my tranny more slippery and could cause potential damage.

I just wanted to know if anyone here knows whether this is fact or if I am being paranoid. I have researched a few different sources and all have said ATX+3 (or 4) for my car and never never use Dex. I ended up providing my dealer with my own tranny fluid rather than risk finding out if that was true.

Another thing I don;t understand is why they would make that switch, and on top of that, they dont even have ATF+3 as an option, nor do they stock it

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 04:03 AM   #2  
frank2009
ATX fluid

i also own a '97 neon. although i am not an auto mechanic, everything i've ever read leads me to believe the only fluid to use is ATX + 3 or 4; damage will result with the use of any other fluid. check allpar.com for further info. also the trans dipstick and owners manual state the proper fluid to use. hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 05:32 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Chrysler's service information has always been scatter brained and lackluster , this is one example of poor communication in their organization.

You have no worry. If the tranny is wiped out, the dealer owes you one since they put in the "wrong" fluid. They as the dealer, and Chrysler's agent should know what goes into the vehicle.

I would stick with what the owner's manual says and question the service writer why they put Dexron III in there. Let him/her show you the bulletin or documents from Chrysler that prove to the contrary of the owner's manual and/or dipstick.

I just wish they'd get it straight. GM is easy. Dexron. DONE. LOL.

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 01:04 PM   #4  
mike from nj
did they use the dexron or not?

or did they use your fluid?

you should only be using what's stamped on your dipstick---type 7176 which is atf 3, nothing else should be used.

the people at the service desk are usually not the most informed when it comes to facts and details---you should be asking the actual technician who is doing the work, and i use what's stamped on the dipstick, period.

if your receipt in fact states dex was used, simply go to any other dealer if you should develop a shudderring, and get the zone manager involved, HE will straighten the first dealer out asap!

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 03:58 PM   #5  
Dan Meyer
Use the chrysler recommended ATX. NOT Dexron. Dexron has a friction modifier in it for a smoother shift pattern. This additive is not compatible with the plates in a chrysler tranny.

I can understand a corner gas station wanting to use dexon because then he only has to stock one fluid and he puts it in everything - but a chrysler dealer - I don't understand that.

Don't rely on getting a new tranny if the wrong oil is put in. It is impossible to prove the oil did the damage. Believe me!!!!

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 04:13 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Dan:

I'd have to disagree. If you have the proof that the wrong fluid was used and now the tranny acts up, it will be curtains for the dealer if you play your cards right.

It will be embarrassing that the dealer didn't know, because it's common knowledge that they would chastise the independent guys for something like that.

Of course, it IS a headache to have to prove it all. The dealer as Chrysler's factory agent should just know what is required. There are books, training material, factory hotlines, etc that the dealer can use to ask questions if they don't know.

Visiting Guest

09-14-03, 12:33 PM   #7  
KatWoman
As far as I know they used my fluid (it's been awhile since I went in for service.) and I asked them to return my empty bottles/unused bottles. So far the car acted up only once but that was because they overfilled it My service writer is pretty knowledgable and will tell me if a problem I have is something we can fix ourselves. No other shop or even other writers in this shop have done that for me.

I am not having any problems at this time...it was just a thought I was having and wanted to know if my suspicions were true (that Dex is bad for my car) and my question has been answered Thanks.

Visiting Guest

09-15-03, 07:07 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I'm surprised they installed "customer supplied" items like that. A lot of dealers won't take that risk.

Dealer sounds pretty easy to deal with. Hopefully they used the right stuff!

Visiting Guest

09-15-03, 10:50 PM   #9  
KatWoman
Originally posted by Joe_F
I'm surprised they installed "customer supplied" items like that. A lot of dealers won't take that risk.

Dealer sounds pretty easy to deal with. Hopefully they used the right stuff!
I have a pretty good rapport with my service writer. He knows my finace and I work on our own cars and goes out of his way to help me save a few bucks. The guys in parts have been good to me to. Lord knows with a Neon I have a frequent shopper card LOL. But seriously, I have been to many shops and dealers in the Phoenix area and these people are my last hope as far as a shop goes.

Search this Thread