Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rear Brake Line

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 12:25 PM   #1  
BelairBoy
Rear Brake Line

OK, 1987 Ford F-150 4x4 302 cu in, V8.

My rear brake line is leaking brake fluid. I've found the leak. It is the metal line that runs the length of the truck, and connects to a second one about half way up. My problem is..... On this brake line, where the rear line connects to the front one, there is a metal connector of some sort that both lines screw into. Im having some trouble removing the rear line, because I am sure one of the two lines going into the connector is a left-hand thread. So which one is a left hand thread, which one turns normal, and whats the best way to remove the dang thing? Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 01:20 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Soak the piss out of it with WD40 or PB Blaster. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

You are talking about the junction block. Hold that steady with a wrench and using a flare wrench loosen the line that screws into it.

If all fails, repeat again.

Send the original broken lines to either Fine Lines, Classic Tube or Inline Tube and they will fabricate exact duplicates of those originals. Look up their URLs on the 'net in www.google.com

If this were my truck: I would throw out all the lines and replace with new OEM quality lines from one of those three sources above. If one leaks, the other's aren't far behind.

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 01:55 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Probably just corrosion. I think due to different types of metal/age. Both should be leftie loosie. if you dont have tubing or flare wrenches ya gotta have them.

WV

09-11-03, 06:46 PM   #4  
Neither one is a right hand thread, both are leftys. If you break it go to Ford and get a new Junction. Get some PB Blaster on it and let it set overnight. If you are replacing the line anyway if all else fails put vice grips on it. I dont recommend, but it might come to that.
Billy

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:20 PM   #5  
mike from nj
most bigger cities have a 'brake' shop, look in the yellow pages for one. looking in mine right now shows about 150+garages under 'brakes', but only one under 'brakes-distributors' (in a city--new brunswick) that's what you want, they don't work on cars or trucks, what they do is re-line big diesel truck shoes, cut drums for tractor trailers and also fabricate lines.

whenever we have something old come in with a ruptured steel line, we take it out completely and send it to them to copy the line and flare the ends with new fittings---it's cheaper than a new one and fits right in, all in one day too.

just cut out the old lines, if it rusted through in one spot, the rest isn't far behind. if you must cut a line in the middle, scratch a straight line on the line, then cut in the middle of that, so when they bend a new line, they know how it was positioned before the cut, also cut it at the end fittings(where your trouble is), then just take a good socket or vice grips and take out the fittings and bring everything with you when you go.

works for me

Visiting Guest

09-12-03, 03:59 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Mike:

So long as it's done with a CNC machine and computer/accurately controlled, that sounds good.

If it's Bubba with a tubing bender, I don't know if I'd trust my safety to that

WV

09-12-03, 04:11 AM   #7  
HEY, I am offended by the 'Bubba with a bender' statement. I fabricate brakes lines quite frequently and all i have is a Craftsman tubing bender and have NEVER had a problem with one of my 'bubba' lines, and they fit just as good if not better than the factory line.
Billy

Visiting Guest

09-12-03, 03:36 PM   #8  
Joe_F
HEY, I am offended by the 'Bubba with a bender' statement---

I fabricate brakes lines quite frequently and all i have is a Craftsman tubing bender --

-----
Which means you do them correctly. Hence you are NOT Bubba with a bender. You are experienced and do them properly.

Don't misread the post. However, it is easier when you buy the prebent lines patterned off the old one with a CNC bender. They come out MINT.

I have them on my 1979 Trans Am. Look original, fit right and look great. That's the way to go.

Visiting Guest

09-12-03, 07:47 PM   #9  
mike from nj
okay

so on a 1987 truck, with the only rust on the entire vehicle being on one brake line(maybe), you would want a 'show' quality brake line?

at our big brake shop, it's usually bubba's grandfather bending our lines, he's forgotten more stuff than i know and his equipment is much older than me(been doing it awhile)

i've probably bent and flared a mile of line for myself by now, never once used a bender, never once kinked a line either.

it can be done, just requires a little patience

Visiting Guest

09-13-03, 05:54 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Key Word:

Equipment. Means he does it correctly. I have seen brake lines with compression fittings (and people thought they were doing it right)

Sure, it can be done with a tubing bender. Depends on what your time frame is and what time is worth to ya .

The fuel line for my 1979 Trans Am has a zillion bends and curves in it. Ya ain't doing that with a tubing bender (correctly at least).

A stainless steel line for this was like 20 bones. Regular steel was like 12 bones. A good tubing bender is like 10 to 15 bones, the material another 5. You'll need a good double flaring tool as well. Do the math and it may not be worth it.

For $20, I got a line that will last for virtually forever, it is correct in every detail and it fits like the one that came out.

I have made my own lines, but it's just easier to let the computer do the work to get 'em the way I want 'em.

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Search this Thread