CV Joint

Old 09-11-03, 05:54 PM
John Palensky
Visiting Guest
CV Joint

I have been informed by a mechanic that I need my CV Joint on my Mitsubishi Diamante replaced. The joint was removed earlier in order to replace the alternator. According to my present mechanic the CV joint needs to be replaced because the "threads were stripped" during the previous removal and replacement. Is this possible? Is there a danger if the joint isn't replaced?

Old 09-11-03, 06:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The threads are stripped??? This is kinda suspicious. It is quite possible that the previous person damaged the threads. My next question is how did the new mechanic find this problem? What was he doing to determine this condition. The whole thing sounds kinda fishy to me.
Billy

Old 09-11-03, 06:33 PM
kianje
Visiting Guest
Calls for a definite second opinion!!

Old 09-12-03, 04:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tough to really say,honestly.

Maybe he took the wheel off and saw someone else's "handywork" in there and is advising you. We used to tell customers, "You know, while driving, we noticed your brakes are bad, even though we did a tuneup. It's noted on the bill for you."

In this fashion, you covered yourself by telling the the customer.

Have you had any work on the axles or brakes/bearings recently?

Old 09-12-03, 07:59 AM
John Palensky
Visiting Guest
CV Joint

The car is a Mitsubishi Diamante.

Old 09-12-03, 12:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, I know that.

What year? In that fashion, you can check the alternator R&R procedure at the autolibrary.org link below.

If the procedure states nothing about removing the axle to do the alternator change, then it's likely the technician is not being honest about the axle damage.

You can look there and advise us what you find.

Old 09-13-03, 04:13 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
CV Joint

Nothing in the library. I'll check some repair manuals at the local library.

Old 09-14-03, 06:42 PM
Tell me what year and engine size and I can tell you in 2.2 seconds what the procedure is. I have Alldata right here on my computer.
Billy

Old 09-14-03, 07:01 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
CV Joint

1994, V6
engine model: 6G/72, SOHC.
2.972LITERS

Old 09-14-03, 07:11 PM
OK, nowhere in Alldata does it say anything about removing the cv axle to remove the alternator.
Alldata states to remove:

Air Intake Hose
Catalytic Converter
Drive Belt
Roll Stopper stay
EGR temp sensor connection
EGR pipe
Intake Manifold Plenum stay
Generator (alternator)

I dont know what the mechanic was doing messing with an axle to remove the alternator, thats alot of extra work for nothing.

Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 09-14-03, 07:20 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Billy. That's a big help.

Johnny Joe

Old 09-14-03, 09:02 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
maybe the shop didn't have access to the right information and started taking the axle out, only to find that it wouldn't fit that way, then hastily reassembled it.

there are many cars where the axle comes out to replace the lower accessories(alt, p/s, a/c)

i would think an axle would be easier to remove than an intake manifold and all it's related parts and the cat converter too.

that wouldn't be the first or hundreth time a book was wrong, i'd sooner drop an axle than pull an intake and exhaust system regardless of what the book says(if it will fit)

the book shows you A way to do it, not THE only way to do it

if the threads were stripped on the axle, it might not be able to be tightened and this would destroy the wheel bearing in a matter of minutes of driving, did you have any unusual noises, like a growling?

fuel for the fire

Old 09-15-03, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have to replace the CV joint, you may be better off repalcing the axle at the same time since on some vehicles, the axle costs less than the CV joint.

Old 09-15-03, 06:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd agree that the books are wrong, but 9 times out of 10, Alldata robs the OEM information so that means the OEM got it wrong and in theory, the dealer's guys are doing it "wrong" too. LOL.

It sounds a bit silly to booger up an axle in ANY event even if it DID have to come out.

This is going to take a little investigating to get to the bottom of it and there will likely be a lot of finger pointing .

Old 09-15-03, 04:44 PM
The alternator on this car is on the front of the engine close to the radiator. I cant see any reason to remove the axle.

I agree Alldata robs info, but not necessarily just from the OEM manuals unless Chilton is doing the same thing as I have compared the 2 in the past and got the same exact info including the same illustrations.

Anyway, the point is someone damaged this axle and it will have to be looked at closely to determine if it will in fact need replacing.
Good Luck with it,
Billy

Old 09-15-03, 05:47 PM
johnny joe
Visiting Guest
Your statement aboout the alternator location is correct for the 3.0 DOHC engine. Mine is the SOHC and it is located to the rear of the engine. (Chilton's Mitsubishi 1990-00 Repair manual, pp.2-10, 11.)

Old 09-15-03, 06:55 PM
John,

I apologize for the confusion. However Alldata stated for the SOHC engine the alternator is on the front near the radiator and on the DOHC engine the alternator is on the rear of the engine near the firewall. They must be backwards, I just rechecked. Since I am not looking at the car I cant tell if they are wrong or not, it wouldnt be the first time I have found incorrect info in Alldata . But anyway no where does it say anything about the axle needing to be removed. Maybe as Mike said they had other procedures.
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: