'79 Ford E150 Van, 302 V8 - won't crank

Old 09-15-03, 07:10 AM
'79 Ford E150 Van, 302 V8 - won't crank

Was running fine but this morning when I tried cranking it, nothing. No click, no sound at all. All other electrical appears to be okay, lights, radio, etc. Nothing dims when I try to crank it. Ignition switch or something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-03, 07:20 AM
Try turning the key on and crossing the contacts on your starter solenoid. Should be located close to left fender. (Any Ford owner should be able to show how to do it) Use jumper cables. If it doesn't start check for ignition voltage at the solenoid.

Old 09-15-03, 08:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree. Are the connections sound, free of corrosion and tight?

Old 09-22-03, 10:24 AM
Wow! So simple and so effective. I replaced the part for a total cost of $6.99 and everything works fine. Love those old rigs.

Thanks again.

Old 09-22-03, 06:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok. LOL. What solved the problem?

Yes, old car parts are cheap .

Old 09-22-03, 06:09 PM
For $6.99 my bet is it was the solenoid. Pretty common on old Fords. I have replaced a load of these myself over the years.
Billy

Old 09-22-03, 07:33 PM
I used to be in the parts business. Back when there were more of these old Fords on the road, I'd have two or three guys a week come in wanting a starter. Probably 90% of them insisted on buying a starter even after I'd suggest testing the solenoid; most of them would come back within a day for a solenoid. "Well, the starter was probably about to go anyway" was a common phrase from guys wanting to save face. And most of the ones who didn't went to the store down the street to get it because they were too embarrassed to come back to us.

If I'd bought up all those perfectly good starters at core price, I could have made a fortune cleaning them up and reselling them.

Old 09-26-03, 04:27 PM
Yes, it was the solenoid. A starter for that rig would have cost $29.99. It has 245,000 miles on it and I have never replaced the starter.