'00 4.7l dakota 4x4 - rough idling

Old 09-15-03, 03:52 PM
'00 4.7l dakota 4x4 - rough idling

4.7 v8, 60k. Started out with an intermittent ticking noise coming from below the truck, usually going up hill, or medium rpms (2500-3000). getting worse, ticks a lot now, idles rough, and from a dead stop, I get a vibration/shuddering between 5 and 20 mph, then it lessens. It feels like I have less power too.

I took it to a shop - vehicle computer diagnostic cercuit test was ok, and fuel press normal/data stream normal.

they said ticking noise was pre-ignition, most likely due to bad gas. They told me to try higher octaine gas, or buy a bottle of octane booster. also mentioned I'm due for a 60k tune-up.

I did a tranny service, and changed the plugs (champion platinums with .040 gap). And I filled up with Mobile 89 octaine.

The truck still doesn't feel right. idling is slowly getting worse, along with the shuddering, and although it seems less, I still hear that ticking noise.

did the shop rip me off? don't know what they're doing?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-03, 04:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What did the shop charge you? That depends on what you mean by "ripped off".

Sounds like they just missed the problem. Could be a vacuum leak, stuffed catalytic converter, exhaust problem/restriction, etc.

Might still be covered by the OEM warranty and you may get a free repair if you play your cards right.

Old 09-15-03, 11:02 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
which trans fluid did you use? specifically? did you use sealer on the pan or a gasket? where did you get the new filter from? did you replace both filters inside the pan? did you do the service first, or did problems start first?

the only octane you'll ever need is what's in the owner's manual, anything else, and something is wrong somewhere

Old 03-22-04, 08:10 PM
update on these issues. turns out one of my universal joints went bad. it dried out and actually got some tight spots in it. that's what was causing most of the problems.

as for the rough idling, surging etc - the service tech asked what I used for gas - I use mobil. He told me to switch gas - anything but mobil. I use exxon now, and haven't had a problem since. That kind of makes me wonder - is mobil gas that bad, or is chrysler products that finicky?

I can't remember what fluid I used, I do know that is was dexron 3, but not mopar (the service tech asked if it was mopar). I ended up not replacing the filters. I purchased them at napa, only to find out they were the wrong ones, and then further found out that they were dealer only parts. unfortunately most dealer part shops aren't open late saturday afternoons. so I put it all back together with original filters, and new fluid.

Old 03-22-04, 08:44 PM
Hmmm...Mobil=Exxon...same company
It's called Mobil/Exxon
That can't be it
I've had vehicles get finicky, but not at 60K
Must be something else

Old 03-23-04, 12:34 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i thought i remembered it being called exxon/mobil. same difference.
for what it's worth, all gasoline everywhere starts out the same, it all comes out of the pipeline as the same stuff. different brands put slightly different additives in "their's" to make it a different name. i've used the cheap no-name gas for about 17-18 years now and with no problems.

it's really not a good idea to put dexron fluid in that trans (as i was told)

Old 08-29-04, 07:21 PM
idle surges at start up

Well, it's doing it again. When I start it up in the morning, the idle goes almost all the way up to 2K, drops to about 1K, then surges back up to almost 2K again. Keeps fluctuating for about 20-30 seconds before finally dropping to a steady 700 rpms. any ideas?

It only happens when I start it up in the morning, so taking it back to the dealer won't help, unless I leave it there overnight. And the service tech told me last time, that they will most likely not be able to find the problem.

Isn't there an IAC valve or something that controls the idle speed at startup?

Old 08-30-04, 02:51 AM
might try cleaning behind the throttle plates with carb cleaner, also might get the battery load tested to see if its within spec as a battery starts getting weak the voltage will drop more during cranking and affect the computer and sensor readings and it may be more noticable at the first start of the day.

Old 09-19-04, 11:32 AM
haven't cleaned behind throttle plates yet,but did replace the battery. still doing it. . .