Torque Converter??

Old 09-15-03, 05:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Torque Converter??

'89 Suburban R1500 5.7, 700R4
Vehicle has 257,000
Tranny has 117,000 on rebuilt and torque converter.

Problem is feels like erratic miss when TCC engages. Also TCC cuts out on small hills (overpasses) and with slight touch of gas pedal. Starts at around 45 mph and continues (slightly less noticiable) through 70 (fast as I've gone). If I push the gas to hit passing gear, my acceleration is strong and problem goes away until the TCC engages again. No problems at idle. No engine miss in park at higher RPMs.

I've been told that this is indication that Torque Converter is starting to fail. Also been told that need to overhaul tranny if changing torque converter. Don't want to spend the extra $1000. Would like to get opinions from you transmission mechanics. Also, what is likely causing failure on torque converter.

Old 09-15-03, 06:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dan:

I get this "chuggling" in my 2004R in my 84 Oldsmobile. I don't drive the car that often as I used to and it's becoming more noticeable that I have to attend to it.

Make sure the governor is not at fault. Also, there is a lockup solenoid in the valve body area, those are always suspect too.

Have you hooked up a scanner to it while driving to watch TCC engagement? An OTC with a cigarette lighter adapter works nicely in this case.

Another option I have heard that works is to use TransX and change the fluid. Might buy you some time for now.

Old 09-15-03, 06:58 AM
D
TCC switch and solenoid are showing to be on during chuggle and off when smooth. Every other read (actron POS scanner) shows to be fine.
I'm hearing that this is a common problem for this era GM converter.

Old 09-15-03, 07:07 AM
B
An erratic miss, or fishbite when the tcc enages is more likely a secondary ignition failure, such as plug wires,plugs, and/or cap and rotor. Use only ac/delco plug wires on this vehicle, or itwill not be a proper repair. aftermarket plug wires will also fail and cause this concern.
If it is a violent shake, that causes the whole dash board to vibrate up and down , now we are talkikng torque convertor failure, probably the front pump bushing is worn causing a pressure leak to the clutch inside the torque convertor.

Old 09-15-03, 07:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes it is. Do you need Alldata bulletins?

Old 09-15-03, 07:13 AM
D
Problem is not ignition related. Thanks for the thought.

Joe-
I would like to see bullitens if you can access.

Old 09-15-03, 07:19 AM
B
How do u know this?
Many times, people come in thinking they have a trans problem and it is ignition related....
Plug wires usually only show up failed when the tcc engages...

Old 09-15-03, 07:24 AM
D
Have GM Service Manuals and was first place I looked. Felt like ignition cutting out or poor fuel delivery. Already checked that too!

Old 09-15-03, 08:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dan:

Tell me which #s are of interest.

http://alldata.com/TSB/11/89112304.html

Old 09-15-03, 12:32 PM
D
ATRATB046 APR 91 A/T - Diagnosing Converter Lock-Up Problems

92427A NOV 91 A/T - Intermittent Slip, Downshift, or Busy Cycling TCC

Joe,
I think these two should address.
Thanks!

Old 09-15-03, 01:21 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, one of them is VERY long and has MANY parts/tests. LOL. I printed out some of them.....use the diagnostic chart first so you can track the problem down.

Give me a fax # and I'll get them out to you tomorrow....

Old 09-15-03, 08:29 PM
D
Thanks Joe...
Fax is being sent on private

Old 09-15-03, 11:44 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
keep in mind, i've seen what big guy is describing, when the torque converter clutch is done, it shakes so violently it almost makes the radio pop out of the dash. when a plug or wire is just starting to go bad(high resistance) you'll notice it first when the t/c clutch is engaged---'fishbiting' as it's known.

i'd be doing plugs,wires,cap and rotor first---it's a lot cheaper and easier than a trans overhaul and anything with this amount of miles i'd definitely be doing a compression test too.

just my opinion

Old 09-16-03, 02:51 AM
Easiest test I know for torque convertor shudder is to drive steady and get the problem to occur.

With it happening with a steady foot on the gas touch the brake pedal enough to put the brake lites on and off.

By playing the brake lights your would be able to control the shudder if it's the convertor.

Larry

Old 09-16-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dan,

Fax # not received. Please send to bigjfig@aol.com

Old 09-16-03, 06:59 AM
D
Joe
You should have it now.