Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1989 Buick Electra Park Avenue !!!!!!!!!

Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 01:05 AM   #1  
janetlee
1989 Buick Electra Park Avenue !!!!!!!!!

HELP !!!!
I'm right at the point of buying this '89 Buick and it checks out beautifully, been well maintained, everythig works, has practically new Michelin tires on it, and has a tad over 128k on it....I have an '88 Merc. Gr. Marquis that runs great, but the heater and a/c don't work, it has only 2 catalytic converters left, needs coil springs, the windshield has "sparkling" throughout it, the rear windows don't work, horn doesn't work, it needs a paint job, and has over 180k on it....If I use it as a trade-in, the Buick will cost $1300. I guess the reason that I am a bit leery is that the Buick will be more expensive to repair and it is ALL electric (even the speedometer!!!). My Mercury has spoiled me with it's 302- V8 engine and rear wheel drive. I've looked for another Crown Vic/Marquis in my price range (which is pathetically low!), but the ones I've seen are in approximately the same condition as mine.
So anyhow, as a low-paid Mop Monkey (janitorial worker), I need a boost of confidence here !!! Has anyone any comments on this Buick ?
Any opinions out there as to whether I should consider/not consider this car ?
I'm terrified of buying an unreliable car !!!! I know that ALL cars come with risks and in life there are no guarantees so PLEASE know that I'm not asking for or expecting any promises here, just some good unbiased info and opinions
I need to know soon, as the car is on a used car lot and won't likely last long. Does anyone know if this make/model has more problems than average or if it has any negative history? I had a Dodge Dynasty and it was awful !!!! As it turned out, they had problematic transmissions.....anything like this with the '89 Buick?
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE IN READING MY LONG PATHETICALLY PITIFUL POST !!!!
Janetlee

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 03:37 AM   #2  
Joe_F
6 of 1, half dozen of another. You won't gain much by buying this Buick.

1) It's as old as the GM You have now. Everything you've done to the GM, you will repeat on the Buick. LOL

2) Sounds like the GM is rough from lack of maintenance. It's important that if you keep up on a car, the only way you'll need to replace it is when a better deal comes along, not because your existing car is falling apart.

3) Stick with a rear driver as you have seen it is pretty bulletproof and gives a good ride. Also, parts for them are cheap and available anywhere.

4) Buick sounds like it should be priced for $1000 with NO trade in. I used to get those cars free. They aren't worth much, really.

5) Don't be in a haste to get a car. These are as common as doo poo, you can trip over them everywhere.

6) You could probably put that grand into your GM and fix it up and still have 300 bucks left for something else .

7) Drive the GM till it literally dies or is very unsafe (again, it should almost never get to this point....), and then replace it with another rear driver, this time a GM product. LOL.

My vote is to skip this Buick as you can see.

Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 06:28 AM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Don't think you would be gaining anything. Least you know the old Marq. runs. Regardless of problems. Drive it till it quits, you wont be out anything. as with the trade in, You are giving it away anyhow.

09-16-03, 10:18 AM   #4  
I bought a 93 Buick Century with 73,000 miles on it for 1,200 dollars 1 1/2 years ago with power everything. I replaced the alternator and put new tires on it but really didn't need to, just wanted larger tires. Buicks are basically an older persons car and they tend to maintain them somewhat. As long as your car is still running keep looking, something much better will come around. The deal you are looking at is expensive and you'll get no history.

09-16-03, 10:45 AM   #5  
THE PARK AVENUE, THE C CAR PLATFORM IS AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED IS THE BEST VEHICLE GM MADE, THE 3.8 IS THE BEST V-6 THEY MADE, AND THAT PARTICULAR CHASSIS IS BUILT TO LAST. I HAD A DELTA 88(H-BODY,THE CAR'S LITTLE SISTER), BOUGHT IT WITH 49K AND KEPT IT TILL 240K.
I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION, HOWEVER..

Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 12:15 PM   #6  
Joe_F
I'd agree if the Park Avenue was being driven by the rear wheels .

Nothing beats a GM rear driver. GM did a disservice to the public by making these things FWD. Excepting fuel economy, the FWD versions don't hold a candle to their rear wheel drive older brothers.

My sister had this first generation FWD Park Avenue, an '85. It was an OK car, but would have been a money pit if it weren't for a handy person in the family (aka: me).

I agree with BG on the THM440T4 this has. Lots of troubles there and this one probably has them.

My vote is that you have a fairly reliable rear driver that you own already. Sounds like it has not seen attention in a LONG time. Spend some money, fix it up and keep driving it. The 5.0 V8 in that will last a long time if properly cared for. It has reasonable power, delivers decent fuel economy and rides very nice.

Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 03:23 PM   #7  
janetlee
Car Buying Continued

I wanted unbiased info and that's what I got !
Admittedly, I would have loved to have been told to go for the Buick....BUT............................LOL !!!
I will keep looking for another rear wheel drive car...are there any others of at least mid-size that are in this catergory ?
My '88 Marquis needs too much work to pour money into it.I've kept the oil changed, but it had issues BEFORE I got it.

09-16-03, 04:54 PM   #8  
I have a 95 Grand Marquis for $600. It needs a brake line. It's my friends and he doesn't drive it. Just sitting.

Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 07:49 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Not to dump on your friend's car, but a 1995 G/M is a 4.6 and a notorious crop duster/oil burner. Stay far away .

Original poster: If you took a grand (or less) of the money you were going to spend on this Buick, your current GM should be fine. You can't replace that car for a grand.

I put $600 into the 84 Oldsmobile Delta 88 my uncle gave me free in 1996 with the hope I would get a year or two out of it. 7 years later, it's still running with most of those parts installed .

If I were buying a rear driver of this vintage, I would get a Oldsmobile Cutlass, a Cadillac Fleetwood (make sure it's a 5.0 or 5.7 Olds or Chevy motor, no Cadillac V8's or FWD), or any large barge GM with a Olds V8 of this vintage. Get a station wagon and you'll have good utility.

Search this Thread