Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'94 Eclipse rear-end squeal

Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 02:26 PM   #1  
Mrimpala
'94 Eclipse rear-end squeal

We have a '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse which my wife bought new in '94. It developed a squeal in the rear end area. After driving for a while, maybe 15 minutes, depending on the air temp, a squealing develops. I touch the brake and it goes away. Let go and it comes back. Ok, it's brakes, right? Now, slightly pull the parking brake, squealing goes away, let go of the brake it's back. Pulled the rear wheels off to check the rear brake pad indicators. Didn't look bad, but they have to be the problem. Replaced pads and rotors. Still squeal! There are no apparent rubbing marks. Could the bearings be going or gone? They are sealed so I can't just look at them, and they are about $100 each side, so I don't want to just replace them. I tried driving about 30 mph and turning the steering wheel back and forth to load each side to see if the bearings would get loader or quieter. Nothing heard. Please help.

Thanks,
Kurt

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-16-03, 10:03 PM   #2  
mike from nj
i forget how the e-brake is connected to the rear brakes, sometimes it's integrated into the rear caliper, sometimes you have a small set of brake shoes inside the rotor middle--those could easily be causing the noise.

you should also lube the edges of the pads with never-seize as well as the caliper slides and remove all traces of rust---that is likely causing the noise.

get the wheel all hot, so it's making the noise, then jack up that tire and spin it by hand, maybe you can narrow it down further

Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 07:51 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree. Also, I recall some suspension squeaks from these, and track bar problems (did one that was in an accident some time ago).

Try checking Alldata.com to see if any bulletins there pop out at you. If you find any, have the Mitsu dealer print them out for you so you know what you need to do.

Visiting Guest

09-19-03, 08:43 AM   #4  
Mrimpala
The squeaky wheel gets the lube!!!

Mike and Joe,

Thanks for your quick replies. I took the right rear wheel and checked it out after driving to get it nice and loud. Jacked it up and it still squeaked. Pulled the wheel off, and turned the rotor, and still squeaked. Pulled caliper and bracket off, rotated rotor, silent. Since the hardware had about 75,000 miles, I just bought new stuff, along with some brake lube. This morning driving into work, no squeak, though it was pretty chilly. I think the problem has been solved. THANKS!!!

Visiting Guest

09-19-03, 09:03 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Good for you. Nice job.

Visiting Guest

09-19-03, 05:52 PM   #6  
mike from nj
thanks for writing back, it helps other people in similiar situations too.

Search this Thread