wipers

Old 09-17-03, 02:10 AM
timbo
Visiting Guest
wipers

Windshield wipers on 94 Sonoma started pausing 2 months back. When given a little nudge they would start back up. This happened maybe 2 times. Then last week they quit. When I parked I noticed a humming coming from a box in that vicinity. I do not know if it is the motor. I unhooked the wires to the box and the humming stopped. Plugged back in the humming starts. Wipers do not move at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-03, 04:39 AM
Sounds like you had something binding and now it is possibly stripped altogether. The humming is the motor trying to park. You will need to gain access to the wiper motor and arms to determine exactly what the problem is. You should be able to see most of it through the cowl area. Let us know what you see.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 09-17-03, 07:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try rapping on the motor body with a rubber mallet. If it comes back to life, bad motor.

Also the circuit boards in these are known to fail, so check that as well.

Old 09-17-03, 07:51 AM
Check Alldata, and or the dealer I think there is a recall on wipers about that year,several friends at work have 94-96 GM trucks, they had their wipers fixed on this recall.

Old 09-17-03, 08:28 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
recall did not affect 94's as far as I remember. You may have a bad knurl on the drive of the motor.

Old 09-17-03, 04:10 PM
The campaign only covers 96 and 97 s and t trucks.

Old 09-17-03, 11:45 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
Recall Information

for those in need of this information or moderator to post as a sticky?

there are many GM trucks with this problem. i found out through a friend and referred to: National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety website. at the website i got a phone number and i called about trouble with my wippers not working properly on my 1995 GMC Sierra about 6 months ago & had it fixed for free!

just last week i received (by mistake i think! lol) a notice to take my truck to GMC dealer for a free fix of my wipers! lol

anyway, i still have this notice from the division of general motors corporation & it says this:

Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1994 model year GMC Sierra Pickup, Yukon, and Suburban vehicles;
1995 model year GMC Sierra Pickup, Sierra Crew Cab, Yukon, Suburban, and Safari vehicles;
1996 model year GMC Sonoma, Jimmy, Sierra Pickup, Sierra Crew Cab, Yukon, Suburban, and Safari vehicles;
1997 model year GMC Sonoma, Sierra Crew Cab, Suburban, and Safari vehicles. These vehicles may have a condition in which the windshield wiper motor may fail. These failures are the result of cracked solder joints on the controller circuit board near the wiring harness connector. Depending on which solder joints crack or the severity of the crack, the windshield wipers could work intermittently or not at all.

for those of you who have had this repair done to one of the recalled GM vehicles at your expense, can request a refund if you have a receipt.

be sure to look up the website: National Traffic and Motor Vehicles Safety Act for ALL recall information http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/toc.html

Nascar24Fan

Last edited by Nascar24Fan; 09-18-03 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-03, 06:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct. But, a Sonoma is an S10 truck. Different series of truck. No mention of that in your post.

I agree, it doesn't hurt to try. .

Old 09-18-03, 08:27 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yes, but the isuzu hombre has a recall for that same printed circuit board failing, which is a rebadged s-10 maybe? i don't know, i'm not up to date on my gm stuff. also, i don't know the exact years that fall under the recall.

what i do know, is gm uses the same parts usually on everything they make, so it's not a far stretch to find the same failure on that truck too.

Old 09-18-03, 08:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, but the Hombre didn't come out till 1996. The Hombre of course is a rebadged S10.

In 1994, there wasn't an Isuzu S10 equivalent (at least directly...when the S10 first came out in 1982 it had some Isuzu-isms)

Old 09-18-03, 10:37 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
All True, but I think some recalls have a time limitation in which recall items must be done by a certain period. Will soon be 10 years on your 94, but pays to check anyhow.

Old 09-18-03, 12:32 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
joey,
my reply says:
"for those in need of this information"
if you don't need it, don't take it! lol

i am also very aware of the sonoma being of a smaller & different truck! lol
in any event, while his or her 94 sonoma may not be listed on the wiper recall notice, if you read the entire reply you will see there are however 96 & 97 sonoma's that are
also, the original poster & OTHERS may be interested in looking up OTHER & possible recalls on their 94 gmc sonoma, other vehicles or other items they may own. that was why i posted the link provided

the NHTSA website has a bunch of good recall info., NOT just motor vehicle information either lol!
i found it to be a very informative website & i thought some OTHER members & SOME moderators might also.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/toc.html

Have a great day ALL!

Nascar24Fan

Old 09-19-03, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Some good points.

Bottom line:

1) 1994 S/T series trucks (which the Sonoma is) don't seem to be covered by this.

2) If there are TSB's on the problem, there might be some relief from GM.

3) This is a 10 year old vehicle. You may get nothing from the dealer.

4) It is up to the original poster to follow through with GM/the advice given here for resolution.

Old 09-19-03, 09:50 AM
THE FIX I DID FOR MY OWN 92 C1500: THE WIPERS WOULD STOP WORKING INTERMITTANTLY(USUALLY WHEN RAINING,HA,HA), ACCOMPANIED BY THE BUZZING. TAPPING THE CIRCUIT BOARD WOULD CORRECT THIS TO GET ME HOME BUT I GOT TIRED OF THIS.
TAKE THE MODULE OFF THE MOTOR, THERE ARE 2 SPRING LOADED CONTACTS THAT MAKE CONNECTION WITH WHAT I'LL CALL SLIP RINGS ON THE MOTOR MECHANSIM. CLEAN UP THOSE SLIP RINGS WITH SOME SCOTCH BRITE PAD , SO THEY ARE NICE AND SHINY, PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE DARKENED AREAS AS THIS IS CORROSION. ALSO, BEND THOSE CONTACTS A LITTLE SO THERE IS A LITTLE MORE PRESSURE AGAINST THOSE SLIP RINGS WHEN IT IS PUT BACK TOGETHER. PUT SOME FRESH GREASE ON THE CONTACTS AND SEE WHAT THIS DOES FOR YOUR PROBLEM. IT WORKED FOR ME, OF COURSE HERE AT THE DEALERSHIP WE NEED TO MAKE A REPAIR THAT IS %100 ALL THE TIME SO I SELL NEW MOTORS WITH CIRCUIT BOARDS. BUT ON MY OWN PERSONAL VEHICLE THIS HAS WORKED OUT. THE BUZZING NOISE IS THE MOTOR NOT GETTING ALL IT'S LEGS, I BELIEVE.
INCIDENTALLY, GIVE YOUR VIN NUMBER TO A GMC OR ANY GM DEALER AND THEY CAN TELL U IF THERE IS AN OPEN CAMPAIGN ON THAT. OR HECK POST IT HERE AND I'LL CHECK FOR U. THE S-10'S WERE INVOLVED WITH THAT CAMPAIGN, BUT IT HAS BEEN ADMINISTERED IN PHASES.

Old 09-19-03, 01:18 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
ROTFLMAO!!! joey, joey, joey!
does it hurt your ego that much if someone other than you has provided some information?
is your self esteem that poor that you have to try n pick other posts apart to make you feel better? be the last to post? do you reply to MOST every post just to get the HIGHEST # by that lil snoopy dog? if no, what the heck is it? LOL
also, why is it that no matter who has posted, you might say something like this: some good points BUT! but what? but you didn't post it so it is not good enough? lmao
if you only could see yourself the way you really are here, and the way many others see you as being the know-it-all that you THINK you are, it would be a BIG plus & a blessing to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

again joey! bottom line is this: (see below)

" FOR THOSE IN NEED OF THIS INFORMATION"
(what don't you understand here joey?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

being clearly stated, you can use the info. for OTHER vehicles. or a know-it-all such as yourself can leave it! it's that easy! lol... which also means, (since you don't understand yet) no need for you to post a reply.

again, it was here so that the NON know-it-all could look for recall information if they wish to do so. it can be used on any year & any make! IMAGINE THAT!
yup, i kid you not joey! this means you could look for recall info. on a 2003, 2002, 2001 & so on! oh!, & any vehicle too!, which also means toyota, chevy, ford & all other vehicles to boot!
do you understand this yet joey? i sure hope so, as i am not sure i can explain this in any other way for a child to understand.

i think it is about time you took yourself off that high horse your on, or take off that silly lil superman cape. lol... maybe it is time for you to step back from the pc & let the real pro's handle this forum. i know, i know joey, you just don't think others can do a great job here. you think you are what makes this forum, but guess what? that is only what you think. i have seen some great posts with FULL step by step details by mike, billy, darrell & others.
(^5 billy, darrell & mike )
i have seen a great deal of questions that get answered with a question by you! what the heck is that about? (1 more number added to lil snoopy dog?) lol ... no idea how to answer it, so it is answered with a question? why not just leave it if you are unable to provide the help requested. ( it IS okay if you don't know the answer to everything.)

you need to allow others to post or reply w/out you feeling that you MUST reply. and then you reply with your BUT & bottom line Bull .. it really is getting old and annoying joey.

Good day all
R.S.
Nascar24Fan

ALWAYS listen to others & remain teachable. being a KNOW-IT-ALL gets you nowhere, or somewhere TEMPORARILY & very miserable
R.F. Sr.

Old 09-19-03, 01:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nascar:

Let's grow up here, champ. The information you provided is good. However, it doesn't pertain to this poster's problem. Not saying you don't have valid points, but it confuses the poster here if they think it applies to their vehicle and it doesn't.

I refuse to get into a discourse with you when you ramble like that. Get back on track and let's help this poster.

I fully understand what needs to be done around here. Perhaps you'd like to join us as a moderator here if you're that good .

Step up to the challenge, put your money where your mouth is and let's talk shop.

Until then, hang out, crack it down a notch---you might learn something.

Old 09-19-03, 01:57 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
LMAO at the visual of joey and his panties in a knot!

ALWAYS listen to others & remain teachable. being a KNOW-IT-ALL gets you nowhere, or somewhere TEMPORARILY & very miserable.
R.F. Sr.

Old 09-19-03, 02:01 PM
hey I posted some good info in this thread and it is being diluted with B.S.

Old 09-19-03, 02:21 PM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
hey bigguy,
maybe the person with the problem will be back and see and use your type of fix.

joey will probably reply to your post as well.

i did use that method of fix that you mentioned and it lasted for about 6-7 months... here in Florida we use wipers daily. so, someone not in this neck of the woods might find it to be a good fix.

thanks,
Nascar24Fan
R.S.

ALWAYS listen to others & remain teachable. being a KNOW-IT-ALL gets you nowhere, or somewhere TEMPORARILY & very miserable
R.F. Sr.

Old 09-19-03, 04:48 PM
Kriley3
Visiting Guest
Several years ago I was trying to drive from Texas to FL with a hurricane coming ashore. I almost made it, but as I went through Georgia (I was circling around over it) the rain came down hard. It was night and the wipers of my '79 Dodge van quit. Luckily I was near a gas station. I got some RainEx and put it on the windshield. Continued happily, and have not bothered with wipers ever since.

(Thought you guys might need some comic relief).

Karl

Old 09-19-03, 05:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nascar:

Fact is that the forum is probably going to edit your post (if the forum admins do their job) and chastise ya like a little kid.

At that point, whose drawers will be in a tizzy fit?

Grow up, sit back and learn something champ. You might be scared to find out what others have forgotten you'll never learn

Old 09-20-03, 01:54 AM
timbo
Visiting Guest
Thank you all very much. Been working OT so have not had a chance to try out ideas. I did get a laugh at some posts though. This site is a great help to someone like myself who knows far too little to have an opinion. I will try tommorrow and report my success or failure. Either way, thanks.

Search this Thread