Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

WHy do we need an AFC? 95 Talon TSI

NC

09-17-03, 03:01 PM   #1  
WHy do we need an AFC? 95 Talon TSI

We just put a big 16G turbo on 95 Eagle Talon, 105k.
Replaced the blowoff valve and put on a boost controller. Going to put on a walboro 255 fuel pump.

We have been told by several people we needed Apexi S-AFC Fuel Controller Ver.2 also.

Do we? It's high.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 04:46 PM   #2  
Joe_F
What does the turbo's maker say? Are you buying parts piecemeal or in a kit from one company?

The latter is preferred so there is less finger pointing with regard to parts breaking and who is going to pay for replacements under warranty.

Hopefully you have a large budget as these cars burn viscious holes in your wallet, are high maintenance and break parts like a champ. They can be built to be very quick, but it costs good money to do so.

Visiting Guest

09-17-03, 04:56 PM   #3  
mike from nj
before replacing that, why not just upgrade to bigger fuel injectors, then use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adjust it according to the oxygen sensor readings, you can easily backprobe it with a handheld voltmeter and read it while at WOT. that or an egt(exhaust gas temp sensor)

i would think this would give the same results, is that controller doing something else other than adjusting pulsewidth?

NC

09-17-03, 05:35 PM   #4  
We will check with the turbo company. Most of these guys that are showing/driving these Talons say we should have it.

We got the turbo slightly used from a guy that has 3 sponsors on his and is putting in a superg20.

We are getting an intake used from him too.

The fuel pump we're buying new on the net.

I don't know what that controller does, mike from nj. And I don't understand anything else you said. (I'm a woman of 1/2 ignorance)

Will let my smart 16 yr old mechanically literate son read this.

I will also post the site that describes this AFC thingy.

NC

09-18-03, 05:11 AM   #5  
http://www.dsmparts.com/apexi_safc__dsm.htm

Here's the AFC link.

Is it needed?

Visiting Guest

09-18-03, 06:43 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Since you're buying used, my theory of parts packages goes out the window....

Just make sure you buy compatible stuff. A lot of times, with this stuff, things don't always work together that well.

I suggest you hit the MANY Talon/Eclipse/FJ body forums out on the web and do your homework. Talk to folks that have actually done this type of thing to their car and you'll get enough sound advice that way.

Best way.

Search this Thread