1988 Ford F350 power steering

Old 09-18-03, 08:55 AM
tscott10
Visiting Guest
1988 Ford F350 power steering

I have a Ford F350 pickup 1988. The power steering continues to leak after spending too much money on a mechanic to replace the unit and the hoses. The fluid leaks out daily, the mechanic now says it could be the gear box and that could cost 500.00. Is there any way we can check this ourselves before I am out a lot more money?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-03, 09:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ford products are bad for pitman arm seals, I would bargain that the problem is here.

Sounds like the mechanics you brought the vehicle to didn't know where the leak actually was and threw parts at the problem .

Old 09-19-03, 09:26 PM
If I were you I would be having a discussion with the mechanic as to why he started replacing parts at your expence without correctly diagnosing the problem. There are times when it may be difficult or impossible to make a 100% correct diagnosis but this should not be one of those.

If you had a leak that bad it is as simple as degreasing the pump, hoses, and steering box. Start it up, turn the steering wheel lock to lock if needed and look for the leak. You can do this now, but this would have been part of competent diagnosis & repair the first time.

Your mechanic was guessing at your expence.