Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'96 ford explorer starts only when cold

Visiting Guest

09-18-03, 09:08 PM   #1  
bookyle
'96 ford explorer starts only when cold

Hi, we have a '96 Ford Explorer XLT, v8, 4 dr, 2wd, has about 80,000 miles. Always has run great, but just recently it has not been starting after it has been driven on short trips around town (like 2-5 miles).The engine turns, but will not start. We have to wait for the engine to cool, about half an hour, before it will start. After this cooling period, it starts just fine and drives great. I looked at the alldata "list" and the problem is not there. It had a recent oil change, but I can't remember the last full tuneup. What does this sound like to you auto brainiacs out there? THANKS!
Cheryl

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-19-03, 05:48 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Do you have spark and fuel when the problem happens? Betcha one of these two is not there.

See my "The Basics" and apply that next time it acts up.

09-19-03, 05:51 AM   #3  
Start with a tuneup, if thats not the cure you may be missing a heatshield near your starter causing it to overheat. Go to your local Ford dealer an ask to see a drawing of your starting system. Finally crank your engine while gently tapping on your starter, if it startes your starter is wiped out.

Search this Thread