1998 Honda Civic 1.6 Belt Replacement

Old 09-19-03, 08:58 PM
ghatmaker52
Visiting Guest
Angry 1998 Honda Civic 1.6 Belt Replacement

Replacing the drive belts on a 1998 Honda Civic DX with air, finding there are 3 belts, but the center one seems to have to have the motor mount removed in order to get the belt around this support. Does this seem right?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-03, 09:41 PM
Look again. Newer Hondas require the motor mount to get the timing belt off but I havent seen one that you need to remove the mount to get the other belts off. (I have by no means seen them all though)

If you do need to remove it all you need to do is take a 2x4 etc. and place it under the oil pan and put a jack under the 2x4. Jack it just enough to barely take the weight off of the mount. Watch very carefully if you havent done this before so you do not dent the oil pan. You do not need to raise the engine, you just need to take the weight off of the mount.

The ones I have seen are then very easy to remove by taking 2 or 3 bolts and or nuts off.

Safety first. Make sure the car is securly supported on ramps or jack stands and the rear wheela are blocked so the car cannot move before you start. Do not attempt to try to raise or lower the car with the jack under the pan or with the mount disconnected.

Old 09-20-03, 07:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Correct.

Original poster: What does your shop manual have to say on this repair?