Drivers Side Window

Old 09-19-03, 11:19 PM
joanmarie1
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Drivers Side Window

i recently bought a 2000 grand am four door. One day the driver's side window wouldn't go down. A couple days later it went down. Now it is up and won't go down again. I have noticed that the switch on my door panel for the drivers window makes a clicking sound, while the other three switches don't. It's just me , my daughter and grand daughter, no one else to help and I am on a VERY FIXED income. What could be the problem and what price for repairs am I looking at? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-03, 07:03 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If the driver door has an express window, the click is probably normal on that button. I would lean toward replacing the motor in that door. OEM motors are about 130-150 bucks and then 120-140 labor. You can look around and find an aftermarket motor, maybe cardone has these for 60-70 bucks, still you have a couple hours labor. With that said, you can possibly direct wire the motor and try and determine if it is indeed the culprit. GM has had some shoddy motors in the past few years. Recently saw a 96 buick 4 dr that had motors replaced 3 times.

Old 09-20-03, 07:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Darrell.

Old 09-20-03, 06:49 PM
I concur with the diagnosis; just wanted to throw out that with a car as new as yours, you may be able to get a good used motor and save a few bucks.

Downside is that most salvage yards won't offer any warranty beyond the initial installation; the ones that do are usually more "upscale" yards that will want as much for a used motor as a parts store will ask for an aftermarket reman unit.