Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Alternator belt screams

GA

09-20-03, 07:57 PM   #1  
Alternator belt screams

Hi, my 90 Geo Tracker was screaming...so I knew to tighten the alternator belt. Now it screams when I first crank it, for about 5 seconds then stops. The belt is tight ( with a really little amount of play). Should I just tighten it as tight as I can? Or can you make it too tight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-20-03, 08:02 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like the belt is wasted.

If it's over 4 years old, throw it out and replace it with a new one.

Belts and hoses should be changed every 4 years on the dot. Use good quality belts like Gates and Dayco.

TX

09-21-03, 03:12 AM   #3  
no good

Just like Joe said belt is wasted it has streched beyond limits get a new one get a quality one like Gates.

LA

09-21-03, 07:19 AM   #4  
Good advice above...also, do not tighten your belt too much or you will ruin your alternator's bearings.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

09-21-03, 07:48 AM   #5  
You might also want to check for spraying oil and antifreeze, since they can cause the belt to squeak too.

GA

10-02-03, 06:16 AM   #6  
Thanks guys. The belt is definitely older than 4 years, so I'll toss it. But I just looked at the alternator and there is oil on it, Thanks Hirsch. The only thing I can see over there is the dipstick. I would assume that I would need to try to patch that up B4 I put another belt on. Any suggestions?

TX

10-02-03, 06:25 AM   #7  
dipstick

Some dipsticks have an O ring on the bottom of the tube that the dip stick goes into.I dont know if Geo is like that but Toyota is.This O ring leaks and should be replaced.

Visiting Guest

10-02-03, 06:43 AM   #8  
Joe_F
The oil is probably coming from somewhere else and being thrown about by the belts.

Change the oil and filter, gunk the engine and then see if you can find the leak.

Search this Thread