Alternator belt screams

Old 09-20-03, 07:57 PM
Alternator belt screams

Hi, my 90 Geo Tracker was screaming...so I knew to tighten the alternator belt. Now it screams when I first crank it, for about 5 seconds then stops. The belt is tight ( with a really little amount of play). Should I just tighten it as tight as I can? Or can you make it too tight?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-03, 08:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the belt is wasted.

If it's over 4 years old, throw it out and replace it with a new one.

Belts and hoses should be changed every 4 years on the dot. Use good quality belts like Gates and Dayco.

Old 09-21-03, 03:12 AM
no good

Just like Joe said belt is wasted it has streched beyond limits get a new one get a quality one like Gates.

Old 09-21-03, 07:19 AM
Good advice above...also, do not tighten your belt too much or you will ruin your alternator's bearings.

Old 09-21-03, 07:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might also want to check for spraying oil and antifreeze, since they can cause the belt to squeak too.

Old 10-02-03, 06:16 AM
Thanks guys. The belt is definitely older than 4 years, so I'll toss it. But I just looked at the alternator and there is oil on it, Thanks Hirsch. The only thing I can see over there is the dipstick. I would assume that I would need to try to patch that up B4 I put another belt on. Any suggestions?

Old 10-02-03, 06:25 AM
dipstick

Some dipsticks have an O ring on the bottom of the tube that the dip stick goes into.I dont know if Geo is like that but Toyota is.This O ring leaks and should be replaced.

Old 10-02-03, 06:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The oil is probably coming from somewhere else and being thrown about by the belts.

Change the oil and filter, gunk the engine and then see if you can find the leak.