Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge Caravan Electrical Outlet Not Working

Visiting Guest

09-20-03, 07:59 PM   #1  
Margie
Dodge Caravan Electrical Outlet Not Working

Can anyone give me an idea why my electrical outlet doesn't work in my 2000 Dodge Caravan? The cigarette lighter outlet in the front doesn't work and the outlet in the very back doesn't work either. All other electrical are working just fine. Is it possibly related to a fuse? I checked the fuse box and could not identify any fuses that were related to the outlets. I'm leaving for a little trip tomorrow and I'd like to get it working before then. Any ideas?? If its not too much trouble, please email me too, because I'm not real sure how to find responses to my posts. THANKS so much!!
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-20-03, 08:01 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Pull each fuse out one by one (it's probably along with something else) and you're bound to find a busted one. If it happens again and again, there is a short and it should be investigated.

WV

09-21-03, 08:06 AM   #3  
Margie,
I looked in Alldata just now and the lighter and power outlets all run through a relay. However it looks like they also run through 2 fuses. From what I can tell on the schematic the fuses are numbers 4 and 7. Number 4 is the 20 amp fuse in the fuse panel and number 7 is a 9 amp in the junction box ( I believe this one is under the hood).This would be a good place for you to start. I would bet that the 20 amp in the fuse block is the culprit. Alot of times if someone is using the power outlet for a phone charger the connector will get turned while inserting it or pulling it out or just fumbling with it, and that will be just enough to pop the fuse. You cant really tell the fuses are bad just by looking at them unless you pull them out because they are so small. The fuse in the Junction box however is a VERY large one if I am not mistaken.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

09-21-03, 01:54 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Billy: reminds me of the time long ago, guy had lighter problems, his kiddies were putting coins in the socket.

WV

09-21-03, 02:22 PM   #5  
LOL Darrell... Yea, I guess that will do it too..... Makes sense, since for some strange reason Chrysler deemed it necessary to install a power outlet in the passenger compartment!?!?!?!?!? Go Figure!
Billy

Search this Thread