Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

coolant change 96 Buick

TX

09-21-03, 08:35 AM   #1  
coolant change 96 Buick

What kind of setup has GM done I have an 86 skylark 3.1 and I want to flush the coolant,The problem is there is no Radiatior cap Also I can not find the drain.I really hate GM sometimes.
I could fill it by the coolant recovery tank but I need to drain it any ideas were it might be?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-21-03, 09:41 AM   #2  
Joe_F
86 or 96? No 3.1 in an '86.

Did you check autolibrary? The radiator cap is usually part of the overflow bottle now.

Just drain and refill. If the cooling system has been maintained there should be no problem .

Visiting Guest

09-21-03, 10:51 AM   #3  
darrell McCoy
trying to remember but I think the drain pet**** is on pass side, back side. Hard to see. Plastic and only takes acouple turns, then pull out. Easy does it as replacements are about 25 bucks. All else fails remove the bottom hose. About as easy and just as quick. Will flush better anyhow. Should be a standard metal fill cap on top. Again from "my memory"? It is wrong sometime also..

TX

09-21-03, 11:04 AM   #4  
sorry

Sorry I ment 96 Buick Skylark.No cap

TX

09-21-03, 11:07 AM   #5  
Overflow

Joe if the Cap is in the overflow how does it keep pressure?All it is is a plastic bottle.

09-21-03, 03:35 PM   #6  
It will hold the pressure,one note when refilling this keep adding coolant to the overflow until it won't hold any more.This may mean waiting several minutes,then start it up.If it's not full when you start it,it will overheat and puke your new coolant out.

TX

09-21-03, 04:16 PM   #7  
OK I have a small problem

The overflow tank has 3 hoses 2 small ones and a large one on the bottom,one small one goes across engine to inlet by the thermostast the other small one goes to the top radiatior looks to be the overflow return the bottom big hose has a Y one goes to the pump the other to the radiator and one leg to the plastic tank.
I removed the big hose from the tank and put pressure and flushed thru that hose.I had heater on I flushed till clean water came out.I now have a LOW coolant light.
It took the whole Gallon and then another gallon of water.
I think there is air in it someplace. What do you think I did wrong?

TX

09-21-03, 04:36 PM   #8  
update to light

I did like Davo said filled to the hilt light was still on but I went for a drive and once I got around the corner the light went off
Thanks for all the help this is my wifes Buick and I dont like it one bit .But till I save my money and get her the Toyota she wants she has to drive it

Search this Thread