Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cruise Control

09-21-03, 11:42 PM   #1  
Cruise Control

Would it be possible to install some kind of Cruise control on my 2003 Hyundai Accent GL.If it is would it be DIY or take to the dealer.

Sponsored Links

AL

09-22-03, 04:20 AM   #2  
I don't know about your specific application, but I can't imagine why you can't add cruise control to your car. I added a $100 after-market kit to my '94 Mazda pick up several years ago and it has worked perfectly. It was not mechanically difficult and just required a bit of studying and head-scratching to ensure that I made the proper electrical connections. I would do it again if I had a vehicle without cruise control.

Visiting Guest

09-22-03, 08:43 PM   #3  
mike from nj
some vehicle manufacturers offer kits like this to the public. a quick call to the parts department where you just bought this car would tell you if it's offered.

on the cars i work on, they sell cruise kits. a new brake light switch, a cruise servo, and the switches for the steering wheel is all it is. the cars come wired from the factory already, you just need to hook up those parts. it also comes with good instructions and no cutting of any wires, also---no warranties are voided by modifications.
(the warranty might be voided in just the specific area of the wires you cut up, not the whole car) plus the parts you install most likely would be covered under the factory warranty.

09-22-03, 09:50 PM   #4  
I like the sound of these posts, sounds promising.The gas pedal on my car is really crampy and for long trips cruise is a must! Thanks for all the info.I will post back and tell if i can get them.

Visiting Guest

09-22-03, 10:19 PM   #5  
mike from nj
a side note to thiggy: (said in a pleasant tone of voice)more and more cars are being offered without a throttle cable, the computer monitors the gas pedal and opens the throttle the appropriate amount, then the computer can regulate the throttle for cruise control and idle speed, as well as control wheel spin and engine overspeed.

i don't know how his car (hyundai/mitsubishi)is set up, but it would be an interesting aftermarket kit if he had the 'throttle by wire' or it just might be a switch for the cruise request, the rest is computer controlled---maybe it would be easy then.

we'll see

Visiting Guest

09-23-03, 03:05 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Mike has you right on this. If the dealer doesn't offer an accessory kit, I would say the answer is "no" to the add-on question. I wouldn't trust anything other than a dealer kit.

(Of course, factory installation is best. Why didn't you just buy it with factory cruise??? )

09-24-03, 12:01 PM   #7  
The dealer told me they don't have it.I'm going to a car accessery/detail shop and they said they can do it at a cost of
349$. Autozone told me they have a kit for 100$, on the kit it says not recomended for sonata or elantra, so i don't trust that afraid it won't work for mine either. I did find out my car has a cable throttle.

Visiting Guest

09-24-03, 12:33 PM   #8  
Joe_F
If the dealer has nothing, no go.

I wouldn't trust my life or throttle controls to someone who didn't make the system/vehicle.

Live without the CC.

01-28-04, 10:34 AM   #9  
What was that address for limited service information for hyundai model's? I don't see it here now.

Search this Thread