Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starting problems

Visiting Guest

09-22-03, 09:20 AM   #1  
lhorn
starting problems

My 2000 Grand am is having a starting problem. Sometimes when I turn the key, nothing happens. When I turn the key again, everything is fine except my clock goes back to 1:00. I didn't think it was a battery problem cause I didn't lose my set radio stations.
I took it to the dealer ship and he checked my battery cables. He tightened one and said that was probably the problem. Well, it wasn't. Is it possibly an electrical short?
Also, the texaco lube express said I need a new fuel filter(which I didn't buy). When I mentioned it to the dealership, he asked how many miles I had on the car. I said 37500 and he said I don't need one. Is that something he can tell by looking at my face?
I think not. Are there any signs that would tell me it needs to be replaced?

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links

09-22-03, 09:30 AM   #2  
EXCEPT MILEAGE INTERVALS, THE ONLY WAY TO TELL IF A FUEL FILTER NEEDS REPLACEMENT WOULD BE TO TAKE A FUEL VOLUME MEASUREMENT. SINCE IT IS CHEAPER TO JUST REPLACE THE FILTER THAN IT WOULD BE TO TEST TO SEE IF IT NEEDED IT OR NOT, REPLACING IT WOULD BE THE RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE.
(DICTATED BY ECONOMICS)THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. YOU REPLACE IT BEFORE IT BECOMES A PROBLEM.
THE CLOCK RESETING TO 1:00 MEANS THE KEEP ALIVE BATTERY POWER TO THE RADIO DROPPED TOO LOW, THIS COULD BE EITHER DUE TO A CONNECTION PROBLEM OR A BATTERY THAT IS ON THE WAY OUT. IT IS CURIOUS THAT THE STATION PRESETS DIDN'T GO AS WELL THOUGH.
TRY CONNECTING A VOLT METER TO THE BATTERY WHILE YOU ARE CRANKING. ABOVE 10 VOLTS IS GOOD, 9-10 MARGINAL, AND IF IT FALLS MUCH BELOW 9 VOLTS THE BATTERY MIGHT BE WHIPPED.

Visiting Guest

09-22-03, 07:08 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Throw the fuel filter out. Time for a new one. WAY overdue. Every 10k or so on those. Cheaper than a new pump.....

I agree on the battery issue, see what a DVOM tells you.

09-22-03, 07:45 PM   #4  
Do you always take your car to the quick lube for service? Just curious; they're fine for the most part, but at least once a year you should go to a GM dealership or a reputable independent garage for service. They will typically give your car the once-over while it's on the hoist and let you know of any potential problems. The quick lube guys will notice if your drain plug is leaking, but that's about it.

It's a fact that most cars that get high owner satisfaction marks are serviced exclusively by the dealership, while most cars that score low never see the dealership unless they break down. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Visiting Guest

09-22-03, 09:42 PM   #5  
mike from nj
definitely not a coincidence mr. duster, it's something i noticed a long time ago---maintain it and it will last---it goes for anything sold anywhere and not only cars.

fuel filters---read that book in the glove box with all the dust on it, it will spell out in mileage intervals when the fuel filter should be replaced, i usually recommend them every 30,60,90,000 miles. i've seen ones with the factory undercoating on them and 130,000+ miles on the odometer, my current one has 78,000 miles on it and no problems yet----we'll see.

Visiting Guest

09-23-03, 03:56 AM   #6  
lhorn
I did look in the owners manual. I wish it would have said something about fuel filters. I'd replace it myself it I knew how.
I don't even know where it's at.
I'm getting my battery tested today. thanks for the help

09-23-03, 07:36 AM   #7  
IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE GENERAL MOTORS DOES NOT SPECIFY AN INTERVAL FOR A FUEL FILTER ON THE YEAR AND VEHICLE.
PERSONALLY, I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE PLUG UP AND CAUSE A PROBLEM ON A GM PASSENGER CAR, IT SEEMS IT IS THE TRUCKS THAT PLUG UP.
I REMEMBER SEEING ONE ON A OLD LUMINA THAT WAS LEAKING THROUGH A RUST HOLE IN THE FILTER....

Visiting Guest

09-23-03, 03:00 PM   #8  
Joe_F
I look at this way. A fuel filter is $10 a pump can be upwards of $300.

I'd rather change the filter every year and eliminate it as a problem .

Visiting Guest

09-24-03, 04:03 AM   #9  
lhorn
Yesterday, I took the car to Auto Zone. They hooked up their $5000 computer to my alternator and battery. Said the atl was good and the battery had 12.42 volts. But the machine said it was a bad battery. The Auto Zone rep said I could have a bad cell.
So now I have a new battery.
Is there a web site that can show me some kind of diagram so I can see where the fuel filter is?

09-24-03, 10:16 AM   #10  
Fuel filter is a once a year replacement item for me on my car and a twice a year replacement item on my van. Once before I enter Mexico and once when I leave Mexico. It's a $3.50c item takes 10 minutes to change andI never have to worry about it, Cheap insurance.

Visiting Guest

09-24-03, 10:25 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Follow your fuel lines up from the fuel tank. You're looking for a beer can sized item clipped into a clamp in the chassis rail.

Search this Thread