EGR Valve on 98 Buick century

Old 09-24-03, 11:45 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
EGR Valve on 98 Buick century

After checking this site, I decided to make a run to my local AutoZone to have them check the codes to see why my service engine soon light came on yesterday on my 98 Buick Century. It does have high mileage (99, 400) but was given to me by my in laws. not driven hard every day, mostly to work and back as well as other short trips to neary cities. Only a couple of longer trips since I have had it. Ky to Georgia and Ky to Tenn.

Not sure the exact code. Something like p104? but he said 2 codes came up and both of them were EGR FLOW INSUFFICIENT.

Do you suggest replacing the whole valve? THe part costs ($170)
or cleaning the one that is currently on there. Or is that even an option? I am on a tight budget and need to do it right, but the cheapest way posibble

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-03, 12:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheap and new cars don't go together. Parts are expensive. Nature of the beast .

Try cleaning the EGR valve and putting a new gasket with a built in screen. Might stop the problem for a while.

Old 09-24-03, 01:31 PM
Hold on before buying any parts. If that has a 3400, the egr passage in the plenum might be plugged. A new valve will do u no good. Need to know what motor. Not sure what the century's come with......

Old 09-24-03, 02:02 PM
The code is p0401 the engine is a 3100 and bigguy is right the port is likely clogged.Pull the valve off and take a peek.

Old 09-25-03, 05:34 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
Ok, so if this piece is plugged, is this something that is easily fixed. Whats the next step if that is the problem.

I will not be able to get to this until Saturday, am i going to tear my car up drving 30 miles round trip to work the next couple of days

I appreciate all your info, epecially if it saves me $170.

Old 09-25-03, 07:39 AM
CLEARING TH E PASSAGE IN THE PLENUM IS KINDA A PAIN.....
U COULD DRIVE WITH THIS CONDITION FOREVER, AND NOT DO ANY HARM, EXCEPT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT....OH AND THE LIGHT WILL BE ON....

Old 09-25-03, 07:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Century models usually come 3.1 liter from what I remember.

Yes, cleaning the plenum is a PITA. The aftermarket sells gaskets with built in screens which trap the carbon particles and help burn them off.

Old 09-25-03, 07:58 AM
MMM THAT SCREEN IS NOT GONNA HELP, IT IS NOT PARTICLES CAUSING THE PROBLEM,THE EXHAUST GAS FEED FROM THE VALVE TO THE INTAKE STREAM BECOMES COKED UP OVER PERIOD OF TIME.....

Old 09-25-03, 11:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, it attacks the symptom, not the problem. Then again, it's not clear that the "problem" can be fixed though .

Old 09-25-03, 01:32 PM
TRUE......
I WOULD SAY THAT THE "PROBLEM", IS THAT WE USE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES TO POWER OUR AUTOMOBILES, THAT HAVE MOVING PARTS THAT WEAR OUT, AND BY-PRODUCTS OF THE COMBUSTION PROCESS THAT CONTAMINATE NOT ONLY THE ENVIRONMENT OUT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, BUT INSIDE THE ENGINE AS WELL....
WHOEVER FINDS A SOLUTION FOR THIS "PROBLEM" WILL BE A RICH MAN INDEED....

Old 09-25-03, 01:48 PM
TRUE......
I WOULD SAY THAT THE "PROBLEM", IS THAT WE USE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES TO POWER OUR AUTOMOBILES, THAT HAVE MOVING PARTS THAT WEAR OUT, AND BY-PRODUCTS OF THE COMBUSTION PROCESS THAT CONTAMINATE NOT ONLY THE ENVIRONMENT OUT SIDE OF THE ENGINE, BUT INSIDE THE ENGINE AS WELL....
WHOEVER FINDS A SOLUTION FOR THIS "PROBLEM" WILL BE A RICH MAN INDEED....

Old 09-25-03, 01:51 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Bottom line, maybe they dont want to find solutions, else maybe they have and are not ready to use it???? Untill then, EGR's are like ox. sensors, plugs and such, a routine maint. item at your cost. 99,400mi is not to shabby for an EGR valve/service.
170 is a little expensive, but now days most parts are. But look at it this way, 170 buck item for 99,400 mi of service. Pretty cheap.

Old 09-26-03, 05:29 AM
tkays
Visiting Guest
So, my plan of attack should be to check the passage first and if it is gummed, try to clear it out and see how that works,

or

Go ahead and buy a new EGR valve and replace it so I know that it will be fixed.

From what I have read though, when you get a code like that, it could actually be from several different causes, right?

Old 09-26-03, 05:31 AM
IF THE PASSAGE IS RESTRICTED, THE CODE IS GOING TO SET IF U REPLACE THE VALVE OR NOT.

Old 09-26-03, 06:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct. It is akin to dumping out water of a leaking boat. Ya, you are removing water, but more is coming in. LOL.

Old 09-26-03, 12:20 PM
tkays
Visiting Guest
So....

Clean the passage before I do anything else.

Old 09-26-03, 03:13 PM
Yes