New water pump failure

Old 09-24-03, 04:39 PM
techtim
Visiting Guest
New water pump failure

94 Nissan Sentra, 1.6 liter automatic.

I put in a new (not exchange) water pump less than 500 miles ago. It is leaking pretty bad out of the weep hole. I will return it under warranty, but I am wondering if this is unusual. Everything about the cooling system is fine otherwise. The new pump doesn't make any unusual noises or have any play in the shaft.

Can a seal just go out prematurely?

Thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-03, 05:06 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
It happens as with a lot of things. However I am hopeing you purchased an OEM pump (more bucks) or at least a pump made by a reliable manufacture. H--- to have to do the job X 2. Be sure it is the proper rotation of impeller also.

Old 09-24-03, 05:28 PM
techtim
Visiting Guest
No, it wasn't an OEM. The next one will be, unless I can find out who a reliable aftermarket manufacturer is. I've changed many pumps in the past 25 years, never had this happen.

Tim

Old 09-24-03, 10:00 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
No, it wasn't an OEM. The next one will be, unless I can find out who a reliable aftermarket manufacturer is. I've changed many pumps in the past 25 years, never had this happen.

if you find one, let me know about it(a reliable aftermarket manufacturer)

Old 09-25-03, 06:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the application.

Old iron water pumps: Isn't much to rebuilding them. A few seals and that's about it. The shop manual even says it's serviceable.

Aluminum housings? No way. Throw it out and get a new OEM part. Done.

Old 09-25-03, 11:42 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I have found MANY aftermarket reman units to be junk---waterpumps, alternators, air cond compressors, etc--and hate doing stuff twice. Use NAPA at a minimum--OEM is the best.

Old 09-25-03, 08:00 PM
No guarantee with new OEM parts. I have had new Honda water pumps leak with very few milse on them. I have also had a new NAPA water pump have the bearing fail and the impeller ground out the impeller cavity in the block.

Your odds are probably better with OEM but they may not be as good as you think.