Attn: NJ Mike....Good junkyards in NJ

Old 09-25-03, 06:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Attn: NJ Mike....Good junkyards in NJ

Mike:

As the title states, what good salvage yards do you know of in NJ?

Main things:

1) They let you roam around
2) Good selection of stuff, domestic and foreign (different friends, different interests).
3) Reasonable distance from the NYC suburbs.
4) Somewhat reasonable prices.

Your opinion, experiences?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 09:43 AM
Unhappy Salvage Yards

Joe_F

From my experience of late, the roaming days are over and so are most of the yards in Central Jersey. I haven't found one in the past 10 years that allows you to find and remove your own stuff. Most want to put it on the prompter then you pay the inflated shipping price and loose some of the extras in the process.

I have heard that there are still a couple yards in South Jersey but I have not made it down that way.

Hopefully Mike will reply with some good info.

Doug

Old 09-29-03, 11:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I used to know one that was in Aberdeen, NJ (actually there are a few on Texas Road), but I think the stock is getting dated there. LOL.

I have to head back there and check it out. Been a while. Of course all of the stuff I need is in the weeds. LOL.

I did find a pretty complete 1980 Turbo Trans Am at a yard in Middlesex County (I believe???) complete with white spray painted "The Bandit" on the door. LOL.

I can go to PA to the U-Pull it yards, but it's a bit further than NJ for me .

Old 09-30-03, 12:16 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i've been away for a few days, some good charter fishing out in montauk point, looking forward to next year already.

i also wanted to comment on that suburu thread, if you don't mind, name a car sold in america in the last 10-12 years that doesn't have paper thin fenders(some have been plastic since 1993 too) or cheap 'break-away' bumper covers, i can't think of one.

i only go to yards that i can walk around in, and the number and actual size of them has been shrinking lately.

b+b on 520 in marlboro has been my favorite since high school, now it's about 70% imports, 20% '3100' chevys and junk, some old rwd stock, nothing older than '75

'red and black' in jamesburg has been a reliable second favorite, however they have been shrinking in size, and purging their older metal, but still some good finds(it's in the run down area, and usually gets some fresh old stuff)

blewitt's in howell is said to be rather big, and i'm pretty sure you can roam, i've only ever picked an engine up from there, never been inside, but the engine was from an 86 and my friend found it without even really looking, semi-south jersey atmosphere for sure(hill-billys, or pineys as they prefer) right off 195, near rt 9, closer to the parkway.

there's one place on texas road all the way at the end that i've been to a few times, poor selection, muddy, cramped, not my first choice. i think midway is also on texas road, and is fully computerized, but no peering eyes inside!

all the yards seem to be charging too much, property taxes are outragous on my little house, i couldn't imagine their bills! i guess it's the price to stay in business, so i pay it.

i've only heard good things about u-pull-it in PA, from more than one person and very cheap supposedly, only about an hour's drive for you, plus traffic, and the towns surrounding it supply it with plenty of vintage iron

my middlesex county phone book has at least 40-50 more yards north of the raritan river, i've just newer been up there to browse, too much traffic.

Old 09-30-03, 06:13 AM
Cool Red & Black???

Mike,

Red & Black is still in business? I stomped through there for years with good finds and reasonable prices. Before I posted to Joe_F I tried to find them in the phone book but with no such luck. If you have their number, PLEASE share as I would like to take my wife back their on a date {LOL} . She used to tag along when we were dating and us guys were trying to put our heaps back together. I really thought they were gone. Good stuff really came out of there and they are close to me.

Oh the smell of grease and perfume!

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-30-03, 06:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

I can think of a few that have thick skins. Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, among others . Hummer, all sorts of tanks out there . Caddy Fleetwood still had chrome bumpers in 1992, the trucks did as well. Some of the cars were still holdouts .

This Subaru was paper thin. We tapped the thing and it literally exploded to dust. Even the kid said to us, "I'm going to sell this thing, even though it's in good shape, it costs a mint to fix and it's cheaply made and I'm going to get a Honda".

That he did---a week later this thing had a for sale sign on it.

Junk. Even the owner admitted it. Not only that, sales on this thing like many Subarus, compared to Honda and Toyota were poor. When an exhaust pipe goes on a Subaru, the cost to replace it exceeds the value of the car, and this is well known.

Enough on this subject..................

Now onto the junkyards. Thank you, first of all.

Yes, I have been the ones on TX road. There was one nestled in the pines off the road up there, it was like J&A salvage or something. It was a bunch of cars built into a hill. Everything looked like it had been there for a while. LOL.

Aberdeen Auto is the one I usually go to. They have some good pickings there, everything from smoked insurance jobs to cars sitting under trees for years in someone's yard, to fresh kill, to "Why is this here, pretty nice shape". I have done well there, just looking for others. Friend of mine knows the owner---friend's uncle restored the owner's street rod.

Midway has nothing, I've been there. I did find at the "mud place" you talk about a rare car. A 1976 Buick Century Pace car with T-tops. It was CRUSHED. LOL. You can tell in talking to this guy, he's into scrap metal and doesn't give a hoot about parts.

I know we are talking about the same place as it is FULL of mud and stinky, grease.

The U-pull it yards in PA are good. I love going there. Sorry, it's a 3 hour drive for me. LOL. We are going there on Oct.18th or thereabouts. It's always a good time when we do go.

My friend with the Dodge Shadow you hear me talk about here was talking about going to some new yards, so I thought you might know. I'll check these out and give these guys a call.

Doug: Your wife sounds like a gem and a keeper, LOL.

Old 09-30-03, 07:49 AM
After 2 kids and 21 years of marriage, the sparks are still there!!! Not as a kiss up, because she never reads this forum, but she is definately a gem and a keeper

Doug

Old 09-30-03, 08:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

That's a nice thing to hear. My parents had the same thing before my dad died in ' 88.

Old 09-30-03, 12:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do either of you guys have phone #s?

I used to have the Blewitt's one in the net, but I don't see it there anymore.

I got B&B and I contacted the guy to ask about his yard. I couldn't find Red and Black. Have a phone # handy???

Thanks,

Old 09-30-03, 01:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Found Red and Black and B&B. No Hewitt's though.....

Thanks,

Old 09-30-03, 01:33 PM
Thumbs up Red & Blacks #

Joe_F, what is Red & Blacks #. Like I said before I thought they were out of business as I could not find them in the book.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-30-03, 09:24 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i actually have red and black in my planner--732-521-0986, i forget the guy's name behind the desk, he knows me by my face, but warren in the yard is my man! he knows every nut and bolt in that place and if you really want to laugh, look closely at his 'yard' car, i was there as recently as this spring---office is the same, more collectibles, awesome old pictures of the place.

blewitt's has a tractor trailer 'yard' on rt. 9 and their car place in howell, i can't find my last receipt, but i will eventually find something with a #

the outerbridge crossing is 15 minutes from me, the trenton bridge is 40 minutes the other way (rt.1) how much further is u-pull-it from the bridge? bristol, it's 5-10 minutes south.

joe---i said 'cars' not full size trucks.

Old 10-01-03, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

Ya, a few of the sedans I mentioned had big bumpers and thick metal. The Caddy is one, as well as its other RWD counterparts. If you've ever had to lift one of these suckers, you know it's going to fare well in an accident .

The U pull it yards are 2.5-3 hours from me. I've driven them as well as some of my friends on other ocassions.

Check out www.wegotused.com as that is one of the Upullit's in PA. That's the home run of them all. There are other smaller ones out there.

Thanks for the information.....I'll give these guys a call in the near future.